MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
bo_gator
On the road to being a farker

Default Does anyone deduct BBQ expenses on their taxes?

Does anyone here deduct their BBQ expenses on their taxes, using Schedule C

Of course you would have to be a competition cooker in order to do this.

Webber 18 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" OTG Kettle, Teal Thermapen

You mean Sriricha isn't one of the four basic food groups :?:
bo_gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Or catering I imagine. No tax deductions for me as it's strictly a hobby.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

Unless your team is an actual business, and you're making a living at it, I can't see where you would be able to file using the schedule C. Otherwise it's just a hobby, and not deductible.

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
WareZdaBeef
is One Chatty Farker

If its just a hobby and your BBQ expenses are that high that you have thought of deducting it from your taxes, I think you need to consider a cheaper hobby.
WareZdaBeef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I think you could, expecially if you have winnings

I know people who fish in tournaments that do.

I would be very careful about this and consult a tax expert.

but i think its possible

I would ask in the comp forum
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Expenses can't be greater than winnings, and consult a tax pro.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

You don't have to be a comp cooker to do this.

You could sell BBQ's meat online to people from a website. You would need to show that you actively work the business, and you would have to be able to produce records/receipts.

You could be a BBQ blogger/product reviewer, which would require you to purchase items for use on the blog.

Again, consult a tax person before doing this, but it can be done.

Just my two cents.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

There was another thread on the subject too for more info.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=155892
3 Hunsaker Drums
Weber 18.5 Kettle
Big Green Egg XL
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

I file a K1
smokinit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WareZdaBeef View Post
If its just a hobby and your BBQ expenses are that high that you have thought of deducting it from your taxes, I think you need to consider a cheaper hobby.

Clearly you're not into Amateur Radio. Its easy to drop two or three thousand on a transceiver, antenna, and other shack gear. All in the name of merely a "hobby".

Lol just giving you some chit though

73 de KD0PBO

Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by WareZdaBeef View Post

New to this, are 'ya?

Back WHEN I competed I'd do 4 comps per year; 3 MBN and 1 KCBS comp, total $$$ outlay by ME personally was almost to the penny $5400 to compete, some years I'd win back a few hundred, a couple years I made my money back plus a few dollars...

To the original poster, and I WAS a tax pro, it's a hobby expense, and the money is deductible up to, but no more, than your total winnings. Use it so that you dont pay taxes on your winnings.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
You don't have to be a comp cooker to do this.

You could sell BBQ's meat online to people from a website. You would need to show that you actively work the business, and you would have to be able to produce records/receipts.

You could be a BBQ blogger/product reviewer, which would require you to purchase items for use on the blog.

Again, consult a tax person before doing this, but it can be done.

Just my two cents.
I do a blog ... hhhmmmm

Old 04-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
bo_gator
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
New to this, are 'ya?

Back WHEN I competed I'd do 4 comps per year; 3 MBN and 1 KCBS comp, total $$$ outlay by ME personally was almost to the penny $5400 to compete, some years I'd win back a few hundred, a couple years I made my money back plus a few dollars...

To the original poster, and I WAS a tax pro, it's a hobby expense, and the money is deductible up to, but no more, than your total winnings. Use it so that you dont pay taxes on your winnings.
The last I checked the IRS gave you 3 years to produce a profit, or it is a hobby. As a profession all reasonable and necessary expenses would be deductible, but as a hobby only the amount up to total earnings would be.

Webber 18 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" OTG Kettle, Teal Thermapen

You mean Sriricha isn't one of the four basic food groups :?:
bo_gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #14
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cack View Post
I do a blog ... hhhmmmm
But how is a blog a business? Would running google ads or other ads be considered a business? If so... hmmm..
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
But how is a blog a business? Would running google ads or other ads be considered a business? If so... hmmm..
Let's say, for sake of argument, that I want to sell UDS or Big Baby Smokers. How do I get the word out?

I could start a blog, the purpose might be showing the reader how to build one, and / or giving them the option to pay me to build one for them.

In order to keep the reader there, I'm going to have to build a smoker. I'm going to need parts. I'm going to need tools. I'm going to have to pay hosting fees and domain fees. These are expenses.

I'm going to need to test and tune my smoker before I sell to the public. More expenses. Meat, Charcoal, Thermopens, ATCs.

Other than building UDSes and Double Barrel Smokers, I have no need for an angle grinder, 1" hole saw, jig saw, or barrel cutters.

The tasty products I prepare using my "revolutionary" design are the proof that my products works.

Make sense?

Thanks from:--->