Where to find good charcoal in Northern VA

zandyw

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I have been using a Charbroil Silver Smoker for 9 years (with mods). Now that it is rusted through, my wife has encouraged me to take the plunge for a BWS Party for my 50th B-day. It arrives in less than a week and I am stoked!!:-D

However, I am trying to figure out what charcoal I can get locally. I have always used what Home Depot has in stock (Char Broil lump or Cowboy lump). After reading on this site, I learned there are better products. With a new BWS Party, I want to up the quality of my fuel source. The problem is finding a better charcoal source locally. I think I can get Royal Oak at Wal-Mart, but is that a good choice? I also think I can get Kingsford Competition at the local Ace Hardware. Is that worth the extra money over RO? Also, should I use lump or briquettes? Does anybody know where I can get good charcoal locally?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have an Ace Hardware you can get Wicked Good Weekend Warrior lump. Some Ace's keep it stocked (the one by me keeps it in stock) while others don't, and you can order it online and have it shipped to store (free shipping) and pick it up.

Wicked Good Weekend Warrior is about double the cost of Royal Oak per bag. However it is more dense and burns longer then Royal Oak so you get more cook time out of it. What I used withing almost 2 bags of Royal Oak I was able to get done with 1 bag of Wicked Good, so it equals out in the back end in terms of cost.

If you have an Ace Hardware you can get Wicked Good Weekend Warrior lump. Some Ace's keep it stocked (the one by me keeps it in stock) while others don't, and you can order it online and have it shipped to store (free shipping) and pick it up.

Wicked Good Weekend Warrior is about double the cost of Royal Oak per bag. However it is more dense and burns longer then Royal Oak so you get more cook time out of it. What I used withing almost 2 bags of Royal Oak I was able to get done with 1 bag of Wicked Good, so it equals out in the back end in terms of cost.

Ace no longer carries it (on their website anyway)

There was a thread here that were not going to once their stock ran out

The Royal Oak red bag lump at Walmart is pretty good stuff-much better than Cowboy.

I agree as well. Royal Oak is pretty good stuff. I definitely prefer it over Cowboy.

Royal Oak is my go to lump as well. BUT, I, and a few others that use Backwoods smokers, find that briquettes work better than lump. I use Kingsford blue in the BWS, and Royal Oak in the UDS and offset.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I can get RO from Wal-Mart that is around the corner, so I will try it first. I will keep a look out for Kingsford Blue at my local shops. Also, I found a mom & pop hardware store that sells Wicked Good, but it is a 45-minute drive to get to. I may give it a try next.

I have some Cowboy Lump left that will go to seasoning the Party and then I am done with that charcoal!

Back