Jerky Recipe w/o Soy Sauce?

MS2SB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Does anyone have a beef jerky recipe that doesn't contain soy sauce or sugar?

I keep it simple. Use worchestire sauce for marinating along with whatever else im feeling- like raspberry chipotle,hot sauce, peanut sauce,and a friend even suggested limon. Then I season with salt, pepper, brown sugar or again- what ever im feeling that day.

Yes, salt and pepper. It is surprisingly traditional. Soy, which is in Worcestershire sauce as well, is not needed. You can brine the meat in a typical brine, and coat with pepper, sugar (although then it needs to be refrigerated) and other things.

Try slicing corned beef brisket flat thin and smoking/dehydrating it for jerky.

I read that on the WWW somewhere 8)

TIM

Yes, salt and pepper. It is surprisingly traditional. Soy, which is in Worcestershire sauce as well, is not needed. You can brine the meat in a typical brine, and coat with pepper, sugar (although then it needs to be refrigerated) and other things.

Thanks Bob, this sounds like a good plan. The wife has decided to start some ferkakta paleo-diet and I thought this would make for a nice snack for her.

Yes, salt and pepper. It is surprisingly traditional. Soy, which is in Worcestershire sauce as well, is not needed.

Lea & Perrins original recipe

The ingredients of a traditional bottle of Worcestershire sauce sold in the UK as "The Original & Genuine Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce" are malt vinegar (from barley), spirit vinegar, molasses, sugar, salt, anchovies, tamarind extract, onions, garlic, spice, and flavoring. The "spice, and flavoring" is believed to include cloves, soy sauce, lemons, pickles and peppers.

Notes from the 1800s were found by company accountant Brian Keogh dumped in a skip, which he rescued. The documents are placed on display at the Worcester City Art Gallery & Museum. Apart from distribution for its home market, Lea & Perrins supplies this recipe in concentrate form to be bottled abroad.

I don't typically put soy sauce in mine either but I do use Prague powder #1 because I keep it in vacuum sealed glass jars. Have a batch of garlic/cracked pepper and one of honey/habanero on at the moment. I usually use about the same base marinade then tweak it to the flavor I want to try. I don't measure much but the base marinade is roughly (per pound or so);

1/2 cup Worcestershire
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon brown sugar
a pinch of salt & white pepper
then I add the flavor I'm looking for; hot/sweet, garlic/pepper, etc. and marinade overnight. Typically dust a little flaked red pepper, cracked black pepper, coarse salt or some such on the rack before smoking or dehydrating just for texture/appearance.

Sorry it's not a real recipe but everyone asks after jerky when they stop by, should get you started.

Ah, the ole Paleo diet, I have gotten into such arguments over that. Given up. Having some nutritionist argue with me that Paleolithic man did not eat potatoes, just aggravating. Just like the argument that Paleolithic man did not eat wheat, when we know wheat was domesticated over 6000 years ago. Oh well. Enjoy your meat and seed diet oh might Noobian warlord.

Ah, the ole Paleo diet, I have gotten into such arguments over that. Given up. Having some nutritionist argue with me that Paleolithic man did not eat potatoes, just aggravating. Just like the argument that Paleolithic man did not eat wheat, when we know wheat was domesticated over 6000 years ago. Oh well. Enjoy your meat and seed diet oh might Noobian warlord.

Yeah, I find it to be a bunch of hooey and applesauce as well. But, if it will help the Mrs. to feel better about herself then I shall be supportive and do what I can to help out.

Here is something I found awhile ago.... It has some of the recipes without the ingredients you asked about.

Attachments

• Deejays Jerky Recipes.pdf
    100.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Jerky Recipes.pdf
    204.4 KB · Views: 20
if you like it hot..

try a mix of :
a good Balsamic Vinegar
Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco

or a mix of:
a good Balsamic Vinegar
and a 7 oz. can of:

red-jalapeno.jpg

OR
1349.jpg

PEPPERS GROUND UP IN THE KITCHEN PROCESSOR..

mix to taste before dumping in the jerky and marinating for ~ 2 days in the fridge..:mad2:

try a mix of :
a good Balsamic Vinegar
Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco

or a mix of:
a good Balsamic Vinegar
and a 7 oz. can of:

PEPPERS GROUND UP IN THE KITCHEN PROCESSOR..

mix to taste before dumping in the jerky and marinating for ~ 2 days in the fridge..:mad2:

Thanks for the recipes. Unfortunately all of the ingredients listed above, except the Tabasco, are off limits due to sugar content. :doh:

Here's a quick snap of that jerky, the honey/habanero came out quite tasty (on right).
IMG_2249.jpg

Back