Birthday dinner help

Tony A

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok all so my birthday is this Wednesday and instead of going out to a restaurant to eat I decided that I would rather smoke some butts and ribs on my primo xl. Problem is I have never done ribs before most likely will be baby backs from Costco. Need help as far as temps for smoking both at the same time and also how to know when ribs are finished. Any and all other tips and comments are greatly appreciated ! Really hope u guys can help me make a great b day dinner for myself and my family

I say figure out how much butt meat you need for everybody, get a ballpark figure on time from that to go off your ribs. I do the 3-2-1 method on ribs 225-250. Now I don't know if that's correct being that I have never done both like that but just my guess. But from your sig it looks like you have multiple grills so you can always do one on one and one on another. Regardless, happy birthday big guy!

3-2-1 too long for baby backs IMO. Baby backs I do 2.5 then wrap for an hour, sauce and maybe half hour, all at 250. Rub em with your favorite rub, throw em on, with a little apple chunk, I don't spritz.

Butts at 250 leave yourself 9-10 hours, they "should be" be done in 8 but they can rest for hours in a cooler for hours.

I
pa4a6asy.jpg

WRAP your butts tight, double wrapped, before they hit 160 and stall. Injection and rub a must, I also trim 90% of the fat.

This is assuming you have the day, or at least the afternoon, off at home. Fire the cooker for a temp of 275-300. Put the Butt on and take it to a temp of 165IT. Once there, wrap in foil and place back on to the cooker. At that point put the ribs on, and cook until they either pass the bend test or probe toothpick tender between the bones. Should be around 3 hours for babybacks rocking at 275-300. Cook the butt until it probes tender, usually around an IT of 195-200. Depending on the size of the butt, you should have all the meat done within a 4 to 6 hour window.

Good luck, and happy birthday!! :thumb:

Back