MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad
Default medium sized smoker for restaurant?

This is all purely hyphothetical at this point, so I can't be too specific about anything...Let's pretend I was looking for a a medium sized or a small smoker (or combination) to be used in a restaurant with an existing kitchen. A huge smoker is out of the question because of space limitations.

Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for as to size and brand? I've looked at FEC's, Ole Hickory, and Southern Pride. Any benefits to one over the other?

Additionally, what other BBQ specific equipment would one need if there's already an existing kitchen with grill/fryers/etc? Off the top of my head, I can only think of a heated holding cabinet.

Thanks for any input!
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

for space limitations kitchens use the southe
rn pride 200 it is an electric model that produces fairly good bbq

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
cpw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
for space limitations kitchens use the southe
rn pride 200 it is an electric model that produces fairly good bbq
I'll look into that one.

Thanks!
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]

Old 03-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

J&R Mfg Little Red Smokehouse. They have an electric model that can be used as a holding cabinet when not smoking. Ideally you could smoke overnight and use as a holding cabinet during the day.

There is a used one up north on the east coast. If you are interested I can get you contact info.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
cpw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
J&R Mfg Little Red Smokehouse. They have an electric model that can be used as a holding cabinet when not smoking. Ideally you could smoke overnight and use as a holding cabinet during the day.

There is a used one up north on the east coast. If you are interested I can get you contact info.
Like I said, purely hypothetical at this point, but those things are beautiful! That would certainly fit the bill.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA

Old 03-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
fairly good bbq
That part of your quote worries me a little B.B.B.
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post

I'm interested!?!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
I'm interested!?!
This was back in October Bubba, in MA. Don't know if it ever got sold.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...red+smokehouse
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #9
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynfulsmokersbbq View Post
That part of your quote worries me a little B.B.B.
NOTHING can compare to a log burning southern pride or ole hickory for a rest kitchen, the machines that have a rotisiere ....remember you said space limitation..but there are cabinet smokers that work real good amongst that class, however only fairly good compared to the bigger cookers..in my oppinion
but look at a couple options and personaly talk to the people that use them and weigh out what matches your style, and needs of your menu..and size

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
Bbq Bubba

SP's and OH's are GAS burning and flavor with wood.

Oyler's cook with wood.

Your choice on what kind of bbq you want to sell?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

yes propane does assist to maintain constant temp, however I load up fire box and when cooking from friday-sat sun 24 hours a day it only goes thru 1 to 1 1/2 20 pound picnic jug. Oilers work great, not all of them are NSF rated...I really like my southern prides and lots of times I have the propane removed and it cooks just fine. Just cant baby sit, ..as i load up the cookers at 10 pm with 24 butts..12 briskets ...fill the fire box and go home..get back at 8 or 9 in the morning and all ready to come out..but the question at hand is what can this guy use in a confined space and he has very few options and they will be a electric deal..now you can debate about using gas assist and yes the flavour is better on a straight log burner, however this is not the debate here...
however when running a bbq biz, I have to lean towards something that will make my job easier and spliitng logs and maintaining a fire box will not help the work load...yes an oiler is top of the line for that style of smoker..but this guy needs to look at a cookshack or the littel sp..and there are a few others that are NSF rated..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

edit...I just checked my firebox it is 16" by 16" by 4 foot long...and more than big enough to "flavor' OR run the cooker on wood by itself...

ALSO< you have building codes to follow!!My town allowed it, HD no prblem..HOWEVER< my insurance guy dropped us!!
The next town over not allow wood burning in a public facility..
I have also been denied entry into a vending event..

I really wish I could handle the extra work, as I feel all wood is definitly better.and YES, I can taste the difference..however my SP-s still burn LOTS of wood, just need a kick to maintain when I get tied up, as us old guys forget to put more wood in! And dream about the days when we had wood!!! :-)

Last edited by BigBellyBBQ; 03-13-2013 at 10:14 AM..
BigBellyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Big Belly BBQ, I just want to say thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I read all of these posts b/c I want to run a successful business. I don't use every idea, or every recommendation but I take a lot of aplicable information away.

I hope everyone realizes that there are some in the industry that do not share success secrets, I appreciate those that are there to help the rest of us!
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Default medium sized smoker for restaurant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynfulsmokersbbq View Post
Big Belly BBQ, I just want to say thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. I read all of these posts b/c I want to run a successful business. I don't use every idea, or every recommendation but I take a lot of aplicable information away.

I hope everyone realizes that there are some in the industry that do not share success secrets, I appreciate those that are there to help the rest of us!
If we don't share, how will we get people to move away from the chains and back to the small guys like us.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

thanks and good luck to all trying to start a biz and finding something that will work for you, whether it is a pellet popper, wood chip / electric or all wood, wood/propane assist if you have the room..running a biz you have to look at cash-best bang for your buck-building codes-space limitations---fire codes and what works for you...BUT PLEASE stay away from trying to do liquid smoke!