MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
cmohr74
Full Fledged Farker

any chance you could still touch on the meat portion. Why use your chicken and ribs, but our butts and brisket. There's no even playing field at that point correct? What happens if I were the team that had 3 of my 5 slabs have shiners? I understand level playing ground, everyone gets the same meat from the same supplier. But that was last year when there was only ribs and chicken. Now it's 4 meats.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #17
rubbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Windy City BBQ Classic - Chicago, IL August 31st/September 1st, 2013

...and cmor74-the reason we provide ribs and chicken is that there is a large range of differences when buying ribs-spares vs back...St. Louis vs full spare, then all the weight differences - every 1/4 lb weight class. Providing the same product to all (and I'll politely disagree with you about any inconsistencies in the ribs from the top pork packer in the country- Wichita packing company) makes the playing field more even. Providing chicken is an added value to your entry, and again, we provide some of the best chicken available commercially from Kingdom Farms. Brisket and shoulder aren't provided because not everyone will submit these categories and there isn't as large of a range of difference when buying brisket and shoulder (types not quality). Hope this makes sense.

Sent from my iPh

Old 03-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

I really have to disagree with the statement there is not a huge difference in butts and brisket...im sure others would agree too. Also part of being a good cook is knowing how to select meat.. All this even playing field stuff never made any sense to me .

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbbq View Post
Ok brethren....after some thought - here's a proposal:

I can't take money away from 1st, because guys signed knowing 1st pays a grand....but I'm sure no one would complain if I sweeten the pot by adding money for other places (Scottie, I shoulda listened to you a month ago )

Each category:
1st-$1000
2nd-$500
3rd-$250
4th-$100
5th-$50
6th-10th-cool trophies and prizes

$2500 grand champion
$2500 people's choice (10 public sampling teams)

Is this more appealing?

Sent from my iPh
If this was the prize structure we definitely would reconsider.

I also agree with the others about the meat supplied. I understand the idea of setting yourself apart from other competitions trying to "even the playing field", but by allowing guys to cook any brisket/pork they want takes that away. One guy using waygu and the next guy using select. I suggest still providing the chicken/ribs but allowing teams to choose to bring and cook their own. Just my opinion

Old 03-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
Perry/Chicago
Got rid of the matchlight.

Every single topic brought up so far in this thread, is right on what I have been thinking, and why I didn't compete last year, and won't this year, even living walking distance to the lake front. The winner take all payouts, the supplying of meat (BillM is right. Picking out good meat is a skill set,) just to name a few things. And electricity is important even if you aren't using it to cook. We don't cook with electricity in contests, but that said, the whole "BBQ purity" thing is totally off putting . . .
Perry/Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #21
rubbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Bill and perry - I said specially there aren't as many different "types/weights" of brisket and butts as ribs. I agree on the quality (of meat) comments, but I've had poorly cooked wagyu brisket and excellent regular select beef brisket that was cooked properly. I appreciate constructive comments, but please don't insult our contest by calling BBQ purity "off putting" or other non constructive comments.. Many will attend and compete and I hope those that have interest will have a great time again this year.

Sent from my iPh

Old 03-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #22
Perry/Chicago
Got rid of the matchlight.

Rub, not meant to be insulting, but rather to give you an honest reason why I didn't compete last year and don't intend to this year. As an organizer that is info I'd like to know if I were trying to maximize the interest and participation in an event, especially when "BBQ purity" is the major message in your branding, and like I said, we don't even use electric when we compete . . .

Quote:
Bill and perry - I said specially there aren't as many different "types/weights" of brisket and butts as ribs. I agree on the quality (of meat) comments, but I've had poorly cooked wagyu brisket and excellent regular select beef brisket that was cooked properly. I appreciate constructive comments, but please don't insult our contest by calling BBQ purity "off putting" or other non constructive comments.. Many will attend and compete and I hope those that have interest will have a great time again this year.

Sent from my iPh
Perry/Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #23
rubbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

And I appreciate that, but keep it constructive- i find BBQ purity to be important. If you don't, I respect that. You can use electric for anything other than cooking.

Sent from my iPh

Old 03-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #24
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

Quote:
Sent from my iPh
Jared - No one is "insulting" your contest. Just disagreeing on the whole meat thing and I never even mentioned types like waygu etc....someone else did.
I was just disagreeing with your statement on no differences in butts/briskets and I wasnt referring to choice vs waygu etc...Bottom line there is a huge spread within the same grade of meat so I personally would rather choose my own vs getting the luck of the draw out of what someone hands me from a case.
In any event it didnt stop me from cooking your contest last year nor am I trying to dissuade anyone from cooking it this year. Sorry you consider my statements non constructive. Its still part of the discussion

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #25
rubbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

...and we are allowing everyone to choose their own butts/brisket - just not ribs because I don't want backs/spares/st Louis 2 1/4 vs 1 1/2.. Chicken is provided as a value. Brisket and butts are brought in by each team.

Sent from my iPh

Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #26
Kave Dweller
Take a breath!

We have great luck with witchita, they know comp ribs, 3-1/2 lbs 13 bones all day long.
Kave Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #27
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

As long as we can bring our trailer we're in! screw the rest of the details! This is a local comp, great location. I'm printing my app and will send the check tomorrow. too bad you don't have an online option!
2SkinnyCooks will be there as a team this year instead of a visitor....hell, last year, I had to keep sitting down cause the chemo beat my azz

Only thing keeping me off was the original statement about space
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Good job on the prize fund, Jared.

I will say, the ribs we had last year were very worthy. Wichita had some good rib out there.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #29
Southern Krunk BBQ Societ
Knows what a fatty is.

We cooked this comp last year and it was first class. Of course, we had a great outcome, but would say the same even if we finished dal. The products we were given were top notch! I suggest this year if someone gets a "box full of shiners" so to speak, see if you can return them for a different batch.

Either way, we are driving back to Chicago this year, and definitely would suggest to the brethren out there considering a "cave man comp" to jump on this one!

The best part was making friends with a lot of people in the Chicago area we wouldn't have otherwise gotten to know.
Southern Krunk BBQ Societ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #30
rubbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the support guys, it's good to hear some folks from last year that enjoyed themselves.

I do appreciate all of the feedback, and I've committed to adding those additional payouts to 2nd-5th place.

Producing an event like this is tough - just like running a business. You're never gonna please everyone - and something is always ripe to critique to each person's personal preference.

To hear from attendees last year that they enjoyed themselves is encouraging, and I hope they enjoy the improvements and come out again.

To those considering this year -

let me clarify a couple things that may have been misunderstood for this year's comp:

Ribs and Chicken are provided (Wichita Packing and Kingdom Farms respectively). This is done to ensure everyone is cooking a similar product. Cooking ribs and Chicken is mandatory to participate.

Brisket and Shoulder turn-in boxes are optional. That being said, if you are entering these categories - you will be providing your own meat for them.

Electricity is allowed, just not for cooking. We're looking for guys to really run their pits the old fashioned way, managing their fires manually.

It's gonna be a great time, it's on the lakefront, downtown - we're bringing in some of the best blues/rock performers from around the country including Claudette King (BB king's daughter) and other nationally recognized musicians.

Good music, good people, good beer, good food...good times celebrating this old fashioned, authentic style of cooking - BBQ!

We look forward to another great year.