• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Char Griller Mod Question

tb80

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Would adding fire bricks to the cooking chamber help keep the temperature more steady when smoking?

I have all ready done this and I have not noticed any difference in the temps evening out at all. They do help in retaining heat, but if you want more even temps turn your ash catcher into a heat deflector/baffle. The mods are available here in the search area.

Yes. However, to heat more mass you need more fuel.

Soooo, buy yourself a propane torch at Harbor Freight for $15 (w/ coupon) and blast those bricks up to temp in a couple of mins. :thumb:

Yes. However, to heat more mass you need more fuel.

Soooo, buy yourself a propane torch at Harbor Freight for $15 (w/ coupon) and blast those bricks up to temp in a couple of mins. :thumb:

Good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

I say it wont do a thing. Now if you flip the charcoal pan over and drill some holes in it the temps even right out. My temps are with in 3 deg any where on the grates.

First off, I'm sorry about the pics. Just ran outside in my PJ's after getting out of the shower and took some quick cell phone pics. I took the charcoal pan from the cook chamber and flipped it over and welded some angle iron to the inside and just tacked the pan to the angle, moved the stack the firebox side and made it reverse flow. I have temps within 5 or less degrees across it. As you can see it also makes for some very easy reverse searing or indirect cooking which explains the ashes. Hope this helps.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362011612.584476.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362011666.256010.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1362011689.230421.jpg

I have done all the mods to my chargriller....I can keep a constant temp with a pid fan & controller, but man do I go through the charcoal. I think the problem is light metal and leaky cooking chamber. I built a 30 gal PBC, and it is so efficient vs. the char griller...will probably turn the char griller into a grill and not use it for smoking.

First off, I'm sorry about the pics. Just ran outside in my PJ's after getting out of the shower and took some quick cell phone pics. I took the charcoal pan from the cook chamber and flipped it over and welded some angle iron to the inside and just tacked the pan to the angle, moved the stack the firebox side and made it reverse flow. I have temps within 5 or less degrees across it. As you can see it also makes for some very easy reverse searing or indirect cooking which explains the ashes. Hope this helps.View attachment 76436View attachment 76439View attachment 76440

Thanks for pics.
@charred - I meant both.
Thanks for input guys

Back