MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default Poor Trimming On Superior Angus Briskets At RD???

Anyone else have this problem there? I really like the quality of the beef, but whoever is butchering these briskets is doing a terrible job. Seems like about 8 out of 10 have big sections of the fat cap completely missing. Also there seem to be quite a few with very thin flats as well.

Anybody else? Or is it just down here in New Orleans?

Edit: I put this here and not in Q talk because I felt it was a better fit with the competition forum where RD shoppers are more likely to be found due to the KCBS agreement.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

While I haven't noticed any missing fatcap the flats are always really thin on the superior angus. I've only bought them a couple times.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
While I haven't noticed any missing fatcap the flats are always really thin on the superior angus. I've only bought them a couple times.
i agree with this 100%. i buy their regular choice. takes me quite some time to pick em, but, nature of the beast.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Thin flats are typically not the butchers fault.

As for the fat cap, thats a new one on me. I have not purchased there recently just due to briskets that are not what I'm looking for.

Its the big slice in the middle of the flat that I've learned to look for no matter where I shop.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
Thin flats are typically not the butchers fault.

As for the fat cap, thats a new one on me. I have not purchased there recently just due to briskets that are not what I'm looking for.

Its the big slice in the middle of the flat that I've learned to look for no matter where I shop.
Yeah I don't blame the butcher for the thin flats. Thats entirely up to the animal.

As for the messed up fat caps, I was in there today. They actually had some packers with nice thick flats and linear running grains, but the fat caps were all hacked up so I left brisketless.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Next time I go I will take some pictures of the missing fat.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

I bought one today that looks pretty good. But, there were only two that had thicker flats. I didn't notice anything odd about any of the fat caps

Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
HONCHO GREGORY
Knows what a fatty is.

Just be careful with your credit card at RD I got 12-13 letters in two weeks sayin they got hacked and my card was one of them. Up here in Western New York. Just sayin

Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONCHO GREGORY View Post
Just be careful with your credit card at RD I got 12-13 letters in two weeks sayin they got hacked and my card was one of them. Up here in Western New York. Just sayin
I hit the ATM before I went :)

Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
tnjimbob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim H.

Got a decent looking full packer with a nice fat cap at RD on Sunday, and the flat wasn't too thin. Since I'm not cooking this one for a comp, it won't be a big deal, but I had to look through several to find a decent one that wasn't too thin.

I also took cash just to avoid any problems. That will usually keep me from going overboard @ RD. Too easy to do!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #11
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

I remove the fat cap so I would enjoy them being trimmed so I don't pay for something I'm gonna trim and toss. keith

Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

The "butchered" fat cap is most likely a result of an over ambitious person on the final trim line during the slaughter process. If the edges around the trim mark are rounded, it was done on the slaughter floor while the carcass was still warm. If the cut edges are "sharp", it was done after the carcass was chilled.
At the end of the slaughter process, the final trim is where the carcass is trimmed by facility employees, removing any contamination prior to the last USDA inspection before it goes thru the carcass wash and on to the cooler for rapid chilling.
Also note that the brisket area is susceptible to scar tissue and abcesses, especially if the cattle come from an area where there are cactus. The cattle can lay on cactus and get the needles inbedded in their hide in the brisket area which will result in sores and possibly abcesses all which have to be trimmed out.
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke & Beers View Post
The "butchered" fat cap is most likely a result of an over ambitious person on the final trim line during the slaughter process. If the edges around the trim mark are rounded, it was done on the slaughter floor while the carcass was still warm. If the cut edges are "sharp", it was done after the carcass was chilled.
At the end of the slaughter process, the final trim is where the carcass is trimmed by facility employees, removing any contamination prior to the last USDA inspection before it goes thru the carcass wash and on to the cooler for rapid chilling.
Also note that the brisket area is susceptible to scar tissue and abcesses, especially if the cattle come from an area where there are cactus. The cattle can lay on cactus and get the needles inbedded in their hide in the brisket area which will result in sores and possibly abcesses all which have to be trimmed out.
Great information!:thumbup:

Old 01-31-2013, 12:07 PM   #14
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

You want a dirt-cheap piece of meat and high quality processing with it??
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Where did he say in the post that he wants a Dirt-Cheap piece of meat? He just dont want the cuts hacked up.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->