MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
BrooklynQ
Banned

Default 10 Things Your Butcher Won't Tell You

Interesting article about meat and meat processing. The most interesting thing to me was the discussion about natural, free range and organic.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
BobberQer
Banned

Intersting article BQ.. thanks for sharing...

The one that got me is this>>>

To counteract the lack of flavor, most processors get around the problem by injecting beef, pork, chicken and turkey with saline, which often reaches 15% or more of the purchasing weight.
Meat processors argue customers want preseasoned foods, which taste better and save cooking time. <<<<

just another way for a wholesaler to charge meat prices for water and vegatable soluables ...in my opinion

they are so correct.. I asked th butcher at my and Smokers Waldbaums for tri- tip .. ya wudda thught I asked him for Martian shish ka bobs glorified stock boys theses days. it 's a shame
BobberQer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
BrooklynQ
Banned

I rarely buy meat at the supermarket. We still have real butchers in Brooklyn. They're getting harder and harder to find unless you go the hallal or Kosher route. But that rules out the pigs.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
LDOJYD
On the road to being a farker

Fat chance of that here in San Diego, maybe Mexico but hell, no tellin what you get there
Cajun Turkey Frying Fool
LDOJYD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thanks Rob for sharing that article. There are some eye openers there. I only buy meat from a butcher shop but also pay through the nose for it.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Americans are consuming more meat than ever. In 2004 we ate over 221 pounds of meat and poultry per person, up from 199 pounds in 1990.

Ya think WE have something to do with that?? A couple bashes a year can raise the national average of meat consumption a few percentage points.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #7
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

After seeing the amount of Prime Rib a couple of BBQ notables and friends can devour in thirty minutes or so I'm surprised it is so low?
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2006, 07:11 PM   #8
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

It's all an alarmist plot by PETA to overthrow the world as we know it. PETA will then force everyone to own a rescued Greyhound and eat Tofu under threat of High-colonic therapy. Damn those animal activists!

Last edited by ZILLA; 01-10-2006 at 09:16 PM..
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA
It's all an alarmist plot by PETA to overthrow the world as we know it. PETA will then force everyone to own a recued Greyhound and eat Tofu under threat of High-colonic therapy. Damn those animal activists!
How long do I smoke a rescued Greyhound? Does it matter which side up?
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker
Most of them are so skinny they only have one side Feed them some MEAT to fatten them up first, then smoke them. Asian mod, with nam pla, maybe a Flipino Adobo.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #11
MilitantSquatter

Thanks for the article Rob...

Once or twice a month I shop at Whole Foods Market in Jericho, as it's about 15 miles from me and it's expensive. However, the quality is noticeably better in many respects and a nice change of pace...

The article mentioned the well trained butcher staff at Whole Foods. A month ago, while shopping there, they had beautiful brisket flats in the case. I was curious to try a brisket that was naturally raised without the drugs etc. I asked the butcher, who looked experienced, if they can get a "Packer Cut" Brisket. He looked at me oddly. I then had to say " You know, a whole brisket with the point on top of it !" This was a guy who was most probably a butcher for a while in one of the other supermarket chains and went to Whole Foods for the pay and/or benefits. The old time butcher shops are still the best. Pat's Prime Meats in Malverne is a very good one on LI. Family business for over 45 yrs. They are very courteous and know their stuff...

As far as cleanliness goes for the backrooms, I have no experience there other than a one week period working for a uniform delivery company in college. I recall my second day walking into a Waldbaum's going to drop off clean meat coats and then to pick up the used ones. They old ones were the most vile smell I have ever experienced. About 20-30 meat coats laying in a basket right next to the table the did cutting on for about a week, blood stains, chunks of meat all over etc. The pile was so high, the bacteria infested coats were laying on the table. Needless to say, I recall having to drive with those coats in the back of a truck for 6 more hours.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2006, 09:29 PM   #12
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman
Most of them are so skinny they only have one side Feed them some MEAT to fatten them up first, then smoke them. Asian mod, with nam pla, maybe a Flipino Adobo.
Will Do....I lived in Thailand and my wife is a Filipina!!!!!

Old 01-10-2006, 09:34 PM   #13
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Vinny...

Farmingdale Meat MKT Inc
210 Main Street, Farmingdale
(516) 249-8200

Excellent place and good prices.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #14
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker
First, you have to catch the damned thing.....

Old 01-11-2006, 07:07 AM   #15
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter
Pat's Prime Meats in Malverne is a very good one on LI. Family business for over 45 yrs. They are very courteous and know their stuff...
Pats is an excellent place and will do special orders as well. I bought some Kobe brisket there in the past. But he's VERY expensive.