Concession stand opportunity

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been asked by the city I live in to submit a bid for the spring/summer concession stand. Sounds like a big opportunity. I just wanted to ask for any insight the group has in how to approach this, what types of things to offer. This will be the first time I have participated in a bid and want to make sure I cover all my bases, so any experience or advice would be great.

Bossman.

Are you going to do 'Q'? or something else?

Just make sure you don't short yourself on the $$$

Can you talk to someone who ran it in a previous year? They could answer all your questions.

By far the safest and easiest concession stuff is:

Bottled water, sodas, or juice, prepackaged novelty ice creams or ice products, packaged chips and other snacks.

The food handling rules are relaxed for these non-hazardous food product and the prepackaging takes care of hand contact.

Also, the profit margins are HUGE!!

It ain't que but it is the world of concessions.

Also, these type places along with snocone and Hawaiian ice places often don't need health department regulation (depends on your locale) since they are considered non-hazardous foods.

Heck, thrown in comercially produced jerky. Closest you get to Q while being safe. Chad is right, keep it prepackaged and you a prettywell safe....Start cooking stuff and there are risks although you may wish to take those risks. Profits are good as long as you keep in mind the time you put into your product. Like mentioned before, I would recommend you do a bit of a business plan and see where you fall out. You may need assist with that part. Bob

If you do Q, pulled pork samiches are cheap, easy and can be prepaired and held ahead of time. Great for when the weather doesn't exactly co-operate. Also can be a high profit item. If it's good Q--people will pay.

As far as Q is concerned , I was looking at pulled pork, hot dogs (for the kid..) brats and sausage. Anything else? I plan on using this as an opportunity to get a catering business going and get the word out on the Q my wife and I do. I agree, this is a good money making opportunity and I would like to approach it in a way that would make a statement and create some side business as well.

Bossman
Wiggins, Colo

Rou bet, pull pork would be a good gig as well as slow cook shredded Tri tip although a bit pricy!!!

Bossmanbbq said:
I've been asked by the city I live in to submit a bid for the spring/summer concession stand. Sounds like a big opportunity. I just wanted to ask for any insight the group has in how to approach this, what types of things to offer. This will be the first time I have participated in a bid and want to make sure I cover all my bases, so any experience or advice would be great.

Bossman.
This just begs the folowing questions, at least to me:

"What has been done and provided by the prior contractors?"
"Who provides the facilities?"
"What are the certification and licensing requirements?"
"What are the liability and insurance requirements?"
"What is the term of the contract?"
"What are the hours and days of operation?"
"What are the accounting and other financial requirements?"
"What are the 'performance standards', if any, and and penalties?"

Too many questions--I have no answers--sorry
icon_biggrin.gif

But, Govt agencies have attorneys, contracting officers, and all of resources of the entity.
Need to "cross your T's and dot your I's" when dealing with contracts, especially with the Govt'.

TIM

You could do like I do for a food vendors booth. Pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, coleslaw, and drinks. People love combo meals so I offer a sandwich choice of one side and a drink for one price. You will need refridgeration for the coleslaw, thats the only draw back. You would be surprised at the number of people who don't eat pork! So offer something else too (nachos, hot dogs, etc.)

Back