MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
hafast
Got Wood.

Default Trying out the new smoker

Well, I broke down and went the lazy-q route, got a Bradley smoker. I just read Mike Mills' book (Peace, Love, and Barbeque), and feel guilty about it now. Anyway, I did cold smoke some cheese in it last week, but trying a fatty and a very small picnic roast today. Hoping it turns out alright. Any other Bradley owners out there? Any tricks to it I should know? I'll try to post pictures as it comes along.

Bradley Smoker
Landmann BlackDog 45
hafast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't have one, but I am curious about them. Give a full report. The way Texas and Oklahoma are burning, I may not use the Klose for months.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Not sure about Bradley owners, but I know a few Brothers have Cookshack and Meco electrics. I'm sure they'll toss in their $.02 worth.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #4
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafast
Well, I broke down and went the lazy-q route, got a Bradley smoker. I just read Mike Mills' book (Peace, Love, and Barbeque), and feel guilty about it now. Anyway, I did cold smoke some cheese in it last week, but trying a fatty and a very small picnic roast today. Hoping it turns out alright. Any other Bradley owners out there? Any tricks to it I should know? I'll try to post pictures as it comes along.
Charcoal, wood, pellets, gas, wood, electricity, etc., all give similar results and all can be good depending on your taste. What is the most important thing is that you are cooking it low and slow. I would reccomend though, that you supplement it with some real wood in packets or some sort of metal box or can. Hard to repalce the taste you get when you use some real wood.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
hafast
Got Wood.

Well, the results are in. The fatty and picnic turned out great! Food flavor, tender, etc. One odd thing, though, and it seems like I read this somewhere recently about the Bradleys. No smoke ring. I don't know if it's because it's a "cleaner" smoke, or what, I'm sure someone here knows why. Couldn't compete with it, but it tasted great, and for me, that's the important part. Looking forward to trying some other stuff in it. Oh yeah, quick question, Bigdog, I thought the bisquetts for the Bradley were real wood, mainly like a sawdust compressed into a puck. The ones I used were hickory. Would it make a difference if I threw in some chunks? I'm not sure how I would burn them in this smoker. Maybe it would give me a smoke ring if I figured it out.

Bradley Smoker
Landmann BlackDog 45
hafast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would have to imagine that if there is smoke there should be a smoke ring. I wouldn't worry too much though because if it taste good what is the difference whether it had a smokering or not?

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
Solidkick

I wouldn't use chunks. I've had one about 8 months, and you are right, there is not much if any smoke ring. I wouldn't load more pucks than what would do a 3 hour smoke as anything over that is a waste of pucks and make the product taste like you are eating a tree. I was disappointed in the shelf size, you can't lay a full rack of ribs in it, you have to cut them in half. They are supposed to be excellent for cold smoking, which I haven't attempted........yet. The Bradley reps were in our store and talked to me about doing demos on the weekends.....that's all we did was talk though...
Try Bradley's website, they have a forum similar to ours just for their cookers.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote