MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #31
motoeric
Babbling Farker

As an organizer the things I'm proudest of are 1) helping to grow the competition BBQ scene on Long Island, 2) Building the relationships that I have that have transcended BBQ with competitors and judges, 3) being able to help the various charities that we have worked with through the events.

As a competitor, the things that I'm happiest about are spending the time with family at events. I compete with my sister and my niece and we have my parents dropping by, my cousins stopping in, my BiL coming by and we have lots of friends join us. It really sounds corny, but the concern I have over placing is minimal compared to watching my niece carefully prep the meat or how excited she gets if we are lucky enough to get a call or just make something we are happy with.

Corny, but truthful.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #32
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
meeting Scottie Johnson.

Suck up

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #33
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Luckiest accomplishment was taking 1st in ribs in the last KCBS competition in 2009 over the top 3 teams in the USA and a handful of top 50 teams. It took us about two years to "accomplish" that.

As for what our next goal is, well that would be to promote and support sanctioned BBQ competitions here in the state of Hawaii.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:42 AM   #34
New Pal Frank
is one Smokin' Farker

2012 was my rookie year and cooking with my wife was quality time for us to get away and spend time with friends. ( we have been CBJ's for 2 years )

Most astonishing moment in my BBQ life was in Liberty IN, our first pro contest and we hear our name called THREE times. 6th Pork, 3rd Brisket and 7th over all out of 31 teams.

We did 8 contests and heard our name called 13 times :) with a 5th in Chicken,1st in Ribs 9th in Brisket and 3rd over all at Franklin IN and also a first in Chicken at The Jim Beam Classic in Springfeild KY.

This whole season, we will remember well.

New friendsips made and old ones forged deeper. BBQ people are some of the greatest people in the world!!!!!

Think I'm gonna spend a little time with Scottie Johnson also.
Husband & Wife Team (so far)

[B][I][COLOR=magenta][U]Hug Hogs Competition BBQ Team[/U] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black][U]New Palestine IN[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #35
Smokin' Bad Habit
On the road to being a farker

Getting kicked out of the American royal 2011 after only being there 6 hours for boosting a security guards golf cart, then booking down to fayetville AR. And winning $650...woot!

Old 01-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #36
Meat Man
Full Fledged Farker

This was our first year, and I was thrilled to get a GC, but that's not our greatest accomplishment. All the great folks we have met and friends we have made, having a great time with my family. Finding out that I'm not the only one crazy about BBQ.
Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #37
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Without a doubt its enjoyment that I have received from teaching my kids. When my son ( asked me for smoker for Christmas. And my little girl (6) asked for a grill. To cook with them and go to competitions with them, but most of all when we walked at Pigs and Peaches Backyard and the whole family was there. Look at the PRIDE in those kids. Man that's whats its all about for me.

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #38
rocksbarbque
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Passion

Seeing my Son in law Kenny, My coworker and good friend Kevin and my Brother Scott catch the passion I have for BBQ was very kewl. Watching them pass this passion to others makes me know that BBQ nation is strong and growing. Did I say I love everything Barbecue?
rocksbarbque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #39
rolfejr
Full Fledged Farker

Having my wife tell me how much fun this BBQ thing is and have her excited about our team and the next contest.

Then surprise me with a trip to the cooking school in March.

What a women!

[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Rockin' Robyn's BBQ
[/FONT][/B][/I][LEFT][URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rockin-Robyns-BBQ-Team/107295966034865?ref=tn_tnmn"]Like us on Facebook! [/URL]
Stop by our website!
[URL="http://www.rockinrobynsbbq.com"]www.rockinrobynsbbq.com[/URL]
[/LEFT]
rolfejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #40
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

In my first competition my team finished with the "best" worst position, if that makes any sense. Finished sixth with our worse being an 8th in chicken and every other team finished worse than 8th any one category.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #41
sasa44
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My greatest BBQ accomplishment was my first year of competing. Keep in mind this is only my second year doing this.

We were taking our Oldest son to Fort Bliss and decided to do a BBQ competition with him before he shipped out to Iraq. Well short story we won our 1st GC with him there and helping during the entire cook. Later, we were told this comp was an automatic to the "JACK!" We made the trip to Lynchburg and place 4th in Pork at the JACK. WOW, I was on cloud nine to be at the JACK with such great talented teams and then to actually get a call was amazing. My Dad came up from South Carolina and shared the experience with me and my Family, it truly was a game changer for me.

Larry
MAD DAWGZ BBQ
sasa44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #42
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
As an organizer the things I'm proudest of are 1) helping to grow the competition BBQ scene on Long Island, 2) Building the relationships that I have that have transcended BBQ with competitors and judges, 3) being able to help the various charities that we have worked with through the events.

As a competitor, the things that I'm happiest about are spending the time with family at events. I compete with my sister and my niece and we have my parents dropping by, my cousins stopping in, my BiL coming by and we have lots of friends join us. It really sounds corny, but the concern I have over placing is minimal compared to watching my niece carefully prep the meat or how excited she gets if we are lucky enough to get a call or just make something we are happy with.

Corny, but truthful.

Eric

Cranking out the thousands of meals with the fellow brethren as part of Operation BBQ Relief after Sandy, tops the list of a rookie year that seemed to look like a lifetime of accomplishments.

Always a pleasure to see you and your family at these events.
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #43
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

This is an easy one.

It took us 5 years, and close to 50 contests to hit our first GC at the end of 2011. We then turned around and got two more at the local and regional for Sam's. This turned into an epic 1 month road trip hitting the Royal, Sam's National, and The Jack - and getting calls at all three. (OK, the Jack call was for best booth...but take 'em where you get 'em )

It was a great experience, and we got there after a lot of ups and downs. We learned a lot about teamwork along the way, and made a lot of friends. It's the pinnacle of our BBQ journey so far, and looking forward to see where it goes next.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #44
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

I suppose all of these are tied for first.....

Cooking 21 Contests in our first serious Season with my wife and we're still Married
Meeting a whole new group of people who have offered us the proverbial the shirt off of their backs to help and have become friends in the process
A GC in this first Year
A 180 Brisket!
Cooking the Royal and not finishing DAL

Next Up,
Meeting Scottie Johnson,

My Next Goal.
Have a visit and a Nip with the New King, Big Poppa!
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #45
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

,ahahahahahahahadj. Great one. I'll have a nip of pelligrino. Doesn't meeting Scottie Johnson sound like a movie title?
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote