MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
mytmouz
is One Chatty Farker

Default Little Chief smoker...

Any users of these on here, and if so, how well do they work. I bought one years ago and just ran across it...

Trailer mounted reverse flow stick burner. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #1 Black. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #2 Copper
Weber Kettle #3, Dads old cooker. Rehomed
Brinkman electric. Rehomed
Weber Smokey Joe. Rehomed
Small Sunbeam tailgater. Rehomed
Brinkman vertical smoker. Rehomed
Little Chief electric smoker. Rehomed
And 2 UDS go to set ups... Rehomed
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Mine just died. I noticed that the chips were burning irregularly and the element just gave out. And unfortunately for me it is a hardwired element they don't even make anymore. There was a Warshalls Sporting Goods label from Seattle with a 6-74 inventory date on the box, I got it at a garage sale in the early 90's, so I'd say I got my $10 worth out of it.

It was my first smoker and go-to for Brined/cured Salmon and cool smoked cheese.

They are everywhere here in the Pacific Northwest and you should be able to go to the Luhr-Jensen website and get an instruction manual/recipe book. They also sell brine mixes, cures, wood chips and sausage kits.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

I've got one somebody gave me years ago and I keep forgeting to use it.

I believe somebody here (thirdeye maybe?) had a thread a couple of years ago on cold smoking with it.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Arlin_MacRae

We've got a Big Chief and my dad used one a lot of the years i spent at home. They're simple and hardy and really get the job done. I don't know if you'll find a lot of tips here, but they're out there on the web to be found.

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Just got one leading up to holiday season this year. It's been fun smoking nuts, rice, popcorn, salt. Have tried jerkey a couple times with some measure of success.
My son says "your beef turkey is good dad"

Seems like a fun little toy.

Check out their website, for sure. Think I noticed the same recipies and instructions there.
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
mwmac
is one Smokin' Farker

Smokehouse Products now makes the Chief smokers. Users manual here http://www.smokehouseproducts.com/recipes.cfm
I have had a Little Chief for more than 25 years and just replaced the element. Recently got a Big Chief off Craigslist for additional capacity. Hard to beat for smoked salmon or jerky.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
mytmouz
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a CL item for me, lol...

Trailer mounted reverse flow stick burner. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #1 Black. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #2 Copper
Weber Kettle #3, Dads old cooker. Rehomed
Brinkman electric. Rehomed
Weber Smokey Joe. Rehomed
Small Sunbeam tailgater. Rehomed
Brinkman vertical smoker. Rehomed
Little Chief electric smoker. Rehomed
And 2 UDS go to set ups... Rehomed
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Tim Campbell
On the road to being a farker

I have one. Great for fish and jerky

Old 01-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #9
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i have one. i've used it several times and i'm happy with it. actually, i wish i would use it more.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #10
NeoTrout
is One Chatty Farker

Got mine off CL for $15. Smoked some pork belly and it turned out pretty good. The topload thing is kind of a pain but what the heck. You can still get parts online.

Klose 20x48 Deluxe Offset Pipe Smoker
Weber 22.5, Weber 22.5 w/Rotisserie
Weber Performer, Weber Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Homer Simpson Smokey Joe
Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer, Blackstone 28" Griddle
Brinkmann Smoke'n Grill, UDS, Weber 26"
H-D FLHR
NeoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
gtr

Why is it I want every smoker I see, no matter what it is?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
thirdeye

There was a Little Chief in the family forever, my Mom would smoke cheese, nuts and jerky mostly. When I graduated from high school and moved into an apartment, I got one as a "going away" present.... hmmmm, there might be a deeper story here??

Anyways that was in 1974, and I still use both a Little Chief and a Big Chief. Mostly for salmon, trout and jerky. I have an insulation mod so I can also do things like hocks and ribs if the weather is warm outside. Otherwise, I treat both Chiefs like they were intended.... as a flavor smoker, or pre-smoker. You can't really cook things on them unless the conditions are perfect.

(PS - I smoked cheese for years in mine with great success, but now use an A-Maze-N smoke tray for my smoke generator)

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote