Need some help......

cb4004

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
First cook on my UDS, just finished it this weekend. Cooking spare ribs, my question is what temp am I looking for. Sorry for such a dumb question this is my first go at smooking. This is were im at so far.

Attachments

• DSC_0414.jpg
    DSC_0414.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0415.jpg
    DSC_0415.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 79
Ribs look good :clap2:. My UDS seems to want to run at 245-250 so I let it do it. Only sugestion I'd make is to fully open top vent.

My UDS seems to fall right to about 240 with one valve open, I like to cook a little higher so I open another about 1/2 way and get to about 275( that also depends on outside temp). you will also discover that it runs hotter with lump compared to briquettes, and I use a combo to acheive the temp I want. Smoke on Brother!!! THE UDS IS THE BOMB!!!:thumb:

I may have answered the wrong question....:shock: If you are talking about meat temp? dont worry about that, use the bend test if you grab one end of the rack and they bend toward 90 degrees they are done. Or you can poke between the bones with a toothpick and if it goes in like butter your done!!:thumb:

I's been sitting at 220--230 solid for the last three hours, this thing is amazing. I've done alot of grilling this is my first go at smoking. crossing my fingers.

I's been sitting at 220--230 solid for the last three hours, this thing is amazing. I've done alot of grilling this is my first go at smoking. crossing my fingers.

You are going to love that UDS! I'm on number 2 UDS now.

Did somthing wrong, they came off way to early 3 hr. im thinking my therometer was way off. not bad not good....

You just pulled them early is all. The bend test never lies! Most people use it for ribs, me included. In my opinion, at the temps you were at, they needed more like 5-6 hrs. They looked really nice, you'll nail it next time! Bend test!!! :)

Did somthing wrong, they came off way to early 3 hr. im thinking my therometer was way off. not bad not good....
I cook mine between 275-350 and they pass the bend test in 3-4 hrs. If you are reading temp by the thermo on the side of the drum it is going to read 40-50 deg cooler than the temp n the center of the drum about. So 220 -230 is more like 260- 280 actual grate temp in the middle. That is the reason they finished in 3 hrs Welcome to the Dark side ..... Hot & Fast ! Learn to cook where the pit wants to run just roll with it:thumb:

Back