MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #31
jaestar
Full Fledged Farker

Region 2 coming out of KC would be a tough few weeks...local Sam's Club, American Royal, Sam's Regional and then Sam's Final.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #32
Tim H
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Bummer... no OHIO contest site for 2013... was hoping for a Cleveland or Columbus site... will probably opt out of the Sam's festivities in 2013... just cannot afford to make the long travel arrangements
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #33
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Sam's Club competitions are not ran by KCBS only sanctioned by KCBS. They can do whatever they want.
I don't know that this is completely true. Walmart's marketing team is involved, but the series as run by MMA, who is KCBS' marketing team. Officially KCBS has no direct management of the events, but it happens on their retainer so to speak.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #34
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
I don't know that this is completely true. Walmart's marketing team is involved, but the series as run by MMA, who is KCBS' marketing team. Officially KCBS has no direct management of the events, but it happens on their retainer so to speak.

dmp
Agreed, but doubt KCBS is telling Sam's Club who is putting up $500k where there comps are going to be to an extent other than denying their sanctioning.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #35
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevrod View Post
Interesting thought, although as BigMista states; Thousands of members in So Cal., All previous have filled early and had waiting lists. Oh and by the way the one west coast event is in the heart of PNWBA territory. Here's an idea, maybe it time to let Sam's continue on their own. KCBS could just license the software and intellectual property. Sam's would then be free to do as they please, KCBS could operate as the members expect, and life goes on. Sam's has done some great things for BBQ awareness, but lets remember Sam's is doing this to build business and profits. We do this for the competition and camaraderie.

It wasn't meant as a slam on Cali. I am speaking on what I know and saw. The KCBS banquet last year in SD was not well represented by the thousands of So Cal members then... and the SD contest took forever to sell out last year. Midwest locals are always the first locals to sell out. The series is not about where all the KCBS members are located. If that was the case why does texas keep getting contests and they are not a KCBS state with numbers? And Tucson is.dnot that far for So Cal teams. Other regions have to travel as well.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #36
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

I think a study of Sams / Wal Mart's history makes some of this obvious to include the "why" of Texas.

Which may not be heavy in KCBS membership but filling the 4 locals over 2 years here was not an issue.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #37
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

I loved the series last year and had a blast in Bentonville. But it amounts to 58 hours of pulling a trailer for 2 contests should someone in central FL progress through. That part is not fun.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #38
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Gonna be a busy April in these here parts of the country!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #39
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

While at the Jack Daniel's contest this year, we had a visit from Troy Black who told us there would be no CA contest in 2013. His reason was due to the commercial fees he had to pay each year to get his RV into the state. For those of you who have been at contests, you know his RV is wrapped with all the sponsors logos from front ot back. He insisted, the RV was a private coach but the state truck inspection personnel thought otherwise and made him pay fees.

Benny
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #40
azwildcat
Found some matches.

Sounds like California. They never met a tax they didn't like. The Tucson Sam's is 45 min away from us. Just pure luck. Great to have it two years in a row, but even the year before it was just up in Phoenix. We expect a bunch of So Cal teams making the 8 hr drive.
azwildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #41
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is a map view of the contests.

http://batchgeo.com/map/397f6bdf60a0...57c4618fdb9a56

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #42
wmaes47
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimebbq View Post
While at the Jack Daniel's contest this year, we had a visit from Troy Black who told us there would be no CA contest in 2013. His reason was due to the commercial fees he had to pay each year to get his RV into the state. For those of you who have been at contests, you know his RV is wrapped with all the sponsors logos from front ot back. He insisted, the RV was a private coach but the state truck inspection personnel thought otherwise and made him pay fees.

Benny

Benny

I don't believe Troy travels with the motorhome anymore... He sold it...

Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #43
BasicPatrick
Full Fledged Farker

Once again no local qualifier in geographic New England. Our closest local is out on long Island. Very disappointing.

This is America and we vote with our dollars.
Yoder YS640 & Traeger Texas 075
26.75 Weber OTG & 22.5 WSM
Camp Chef Pro 60
Wicked Pissah Super Fast Basic Blue Thermapen
30' Puma Palomino Toyhauler & 10' SGC Cargo Trailer.
NEBS, KCBS, KCBS CBJ, KCBS CTC, ICP
"Rub Some Sunshine on Your Face"--Richard Pryor
BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #44
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildcat View Post
Sounds like California. They never met a tax they didn't like. The Tucson Sam's is 45 min away from us. Just pure luck. Great to have it two years in a row, but even the year before it was just up in Phoenix. We expect a bunch of So Cal teams making the 8 hr drive.

I happen to be arriving in Tucson that weekend if you need a hand. I would be happy to come out and do what ever.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #45
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke-n-my-i's View Post
Same thing last year with Greensboro and Apex (just 60 miles apart) on the same weekend.
This would be a no brainer for me...I will choose Apex!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Sam's Club