MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
Marwendholt
On the road to being a farker

Question Has anyone tried this with a brisket?

So, I decided to make a brisket for our last day at work before new year, so I smoked it yesterday after work for about 6 hours. I knew I couldn't finish it in my smoker so I just took it to roughly 160 internal then i pulled it off and wrapped it in foil. This morning I put it in my slow cooker with some beef broth and some BBQ sauce. I figure I'll let it on low for 7 hours or so until probe tender then let it rest, then hopefully it will be almost as good as if I had done it all on the smoker. Any ideas on what I could have done different, or should this turn out just fine?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
sweetheatbbq

I do something similar with my left over briskets from comps, always is great. I usually just shred it for sandwiches cause not much of the flat is left but it is always good. I am curious to here how it turns out. I have never had anything bad from a slow cooker so I am sure it will be awesome!

Old 12-28-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
RW
Full Fledged Farker

I tried to finish a flat in a slow cooker once and despite all of the liquid I put in, it was dry, dry dry.
Weber Performer / 18.5 WSM / mini WSM / Primo XL / #14 Old Smokey / Weber Jumbo Joe
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Zig
Knows what a fatty is.

I have started items on the smoker then finished them in the oven and they were fine.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nope never! If ya cook hot enough there is no reason to go to the crack pot or the oven. I don't remember the last time a cook took more than 8 hrs most run about 6.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

I have never done it but im sure it will end up more like a roast. If you leave it in the crock pot long enough it would be like a shredded bbq beef. Which if you have the flavors right it might not tast bad.
Covert Black Thermapen
CyberQ Cloud
Instagram- MilitantQ
Militant83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Marwendholt

I'm starting to think this was a bad idea, only because the smell in my office is making my stomach growl like crazy.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig View Post
I have started items on the smoker then finished them in the oven and they were fine.
Me too. Once you foil it, heat is heat and a smoker is an inconvenient oven

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
bigabyte

It will be fine. The only downside is that since the meat has been cooked and reheated, it will have some of that reheated flavor. Luckily, bbq brisket does not suffer from this as much as most beef for some reason (I think because of all that added flavor from smoke, bark, etc).

I have started many briskets on the smoker and finished in the oven with no problems. I don't think I've ever done precisely what you did however, but again, I see no reason it shouldn't be just fine!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

If by slow cooker you mean crock pot, it won't taste anything like barbecue brisket. I agree with others that have already posted: next time, put the foiled brisket in the oven set at 275 and start checking for probe tender after the meat gets to 190.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
landarc

I vote that you should have cooked it at 300F or even 325F and been done in 5 hours. If it was small enough to fit in a crock pot, it would have taken less that 6 hours for sure.

It will work and you will have a nice smoked and braised brisket, this will be fine. Do what you want, learn from each cook.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote