Two weeks in San Diego

Outnumbered

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I know, I know, there are worse places to go, but two weeks is a long time to be in one hotel room and away from the family. I'm heading to La Jolla in January and we're staying at Estancia La Jolla, which I understand is a great place. BUT, no matter how spell it, a hotel is still a hotel.

We'll have plenty of meal at the resort, but also we'll have lots of down time. Any suggestions on what to do and especially where we should eat. My wife is joining me for part of the time. We plan to do the zoo and we are planning to whale watch one day...maybe head to Temcula (sp?) for wine and beer.

Any suggestions from the locals on what to do, where to go? Maybe a brethren or two would like to meet up on the weekend of the 12th?

I dont know if you've ever had Brazilian BBQ but there is an excellent place in downtown san diego called Rei Do Gado. It's different than the BBQ we are used to but i used to love going there back when i lived in SD. It' definitely pricey, $35 on weekdays and $50 on the weekend for, at least it was about 4 years ago. It's all you can eat meat brought to you and sliced off of a skewer with a nice buffet also. The folks on this site cook better meat but i always enjoyed it when i went there. if nothing else, try looking around on yelp, san diego is loaded with good places to eat.....not sure about the regular BBQ places though. have fun!!

Last time I was in SD there was a Q-joint named "Phil's BBQ". Had two locations and his food is pretty decent, especially the beef ribs and bbq'd chicken (kinda small but good flavor).

Good luck!

We just finished a project there that I spent about six trips working over the course of the year. Here are some places that I enjoyed when I was out there;
Blue Water Seafood, 3667 India Street, San Diego
Karl Strauss Brewery and Restaurant, 1157 Columbia Street, San Diego
The Fish Market, Tuna Lane, San Diego; right by the aircraft carrier
Pizza Port, 1956 Bacon Street, Ocean Beach; good craft beer and pizza
Green Flash Brewing Co, 6550 Mira Mesa Blvd; good craft brewery and tour

Thanks, guys. Just had time to get back here and check. I will certainly check out these places...especially the beer joints!

My .02 cents

Phils sucks. Not even close to BBQ. Oven baked is a better description. There's a thread here in road trips with about 5 pages regarding Phil's.

La Estancia is nice. The beaches right there are cool, but go about a mile south and check out Wind 'n Sea. Possibly one the best beaches in the world. Bring a lunch and watch the surfers. AMAZING!!!

Sunset and Happy Hour at the Prospect Bar & Grill. Walking distance from your hotel. (take the escalator up) ~ you're welcome.

Mexican food is the rule in San Diego. Any small taco shop is the way to go. Find Porky's in La Jolla (on Ivanhoe, I think). Also if you go north, try Las Olas on Pacific Coast Highway in Cardiff by the Sea. Good food ~ Better view).

Re do Gato is a must. The women folk will love the Brazillian waiters and you'll love the food. Go VERY hungry!

If you want a burger try Hodad's in Ocean Beach. Not as good as it once was, but still worth the trip. Not to mention the "OB'tians" are a trip.

The Fish Market that QN mentioned is one of the best. More casual is Point Loma Seafood...try the calamari sandwich.

Hope you're doing Sea World. When you buy your ticket, they usually throw in a second day free. Go early and leave early and come back with a schedule to catch some more shows.

As far as BBQ. Nada mucho aqui. Wait until you get back home.

Have a good trip.

If you are a big bold red wine fan, I recommend Palumbo Winery in Temecula. It is a small family run operation, and so much nicer than the larger commercial operations. Any of their Shiraz / Syrah blends are fantastic.

If you are a big bold red wine fan, I recommend Palumbo Winery in Temecula. It is a small family run operation, and so much nicer than the larger commercial operations. Any of their Shiraz / Syrah blends are fantastic.

I know we're planning a day in Temecula, but I have no idea which winery. Is there more than one there? If so, I'll make sure we stop by that one.

Point loma seafood.... Order the crabmeat sandwich, people stop here before their flight and have it packed to take it home, it's that good. Simple sandwich, awesome flavor.

I know we're planning a day in Temecula, but I have no idea which winery. Is there more than one there? If so, I'll make sure we stop by that one.

According to http://www.temeculawines.org/ there are at least 35 wineries in the Temecula area.

Before/after wine tasting, I always stop off at http://www.bongiornosfamilypizza.com/ for a few slices and some garlic knots... :thumb:

Possibly fireman_pete will have some suggestions, as he is actually from Temecula

As far as Temecula wineries I have been to Callaway and South Coast. We went to Callaway last year and enjoyed the wines and dinner in their small restraunt over looking the wine fields. Had a great time and enjoyed the food. South Coast was 6 years ago while looking for a site for our wedding. We ate lunch but the only thing I remember was the chocolate desert was perfection.

I know Stone Brewery is down that way. Never been there but enjoy their beer www.stonebrewing.com

Point loma seafood.... Order the crabmeat sandwich, people stop here before their flight and have it packed to take it home, it's that good. Simple sandwich, awesome flavor.

Point Lima seafoods is awesome. Shrimp poor boy is great. Hodad's has the best burgers. Weather you eat it all or not get the double bacon cheeseburger, fries onion rings and a chocolate malt. Your taste buds will thank you.

I'm about 1/2 way into the gig here in SD right now. So far I've made it to Prospect Bar & Grill, which was good food. Unfortunately we got there too late to take in the view, but I think I could see what you were talking about, BS. I need to make it down there before sunset.

Re do Gato is likely going to be tonight or tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to that one.

We've gone to Old Town a couple time for lunch. Did Cafe Coyote and that was really good. Miguels was recommended. The margarita's were awesome, but the service was horrible and the food not much better.

We stumbled on Shakespeare's English pub Sunday night. That was fantastic. Good food and a neighborhood atmosphere with lots of beer. Had one of the best shepherds pies ever.

Jakes in Del Mar was great, too. Good steak for me and the wife had scallops.

You're about to see what San Diego weather is all about in the next couple of days. Enjoy!

Re Do Gato is a MUST. Park in Horton Plaza and make sure you walk the Gaslamp District (5th Ave) at night. Check out Croce's right around the corner from Re Do Gato for an after dinner drink and some good music.

Not sure how you can stand this weather, BS. This is amazing.

Just finishing up lunch at Prospect Bar & Grill, however, and its very disappointing. Food that they had was bad. They were out of everything. No steaks, no burgers, no fish tacos. Poor service. Nobody is here and it took them 20 minutes to get drinks to us.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Back