Iowa Barbeque Society Annual Banquet

Leatherheadiowa

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Calling all Brethren Young & Old,
I want to personally invite each and every barbeque fan to the Iowa Barbeque Society Annual Banquet. The event is being held Saturday, January 26, 2013 in Des Moines, Iowa. The event will kickoff at 1:30pm with an "All Things BBQ Judging" roundtable hosted by Master CBJ and Iowa BBQ Society Members: Dave Compton ( Rookie 48') and Herb Kane from the BBQCRITIC.COM. They will be facilitating an interactive discussion for all banquet attendees.
Secondly, if you are a contest organizer or a cook that has been around the block this next session starting at 1:30pm is for you! At 1:30pm Dena Milhous and I will be facilitating a discussion among contest organizers about what works, what doesn't, what you need, what you don't, and will hear from cooks that can give you a cook's insight!
Following the sessions at 1:30 there will be a board meeting at 4:00, with happy hour in the bar at 5:00, and dinner and awards at 6:00.
While we would love to have each attendee be a member of the Iowa BBQ Society, membership isn't required to attend, but a banquet ticket is. The Fairfield Inn Des Moines Airport has also given us a group rate which also includes breakfast and free shuttle to and from the event location.
Additional details including the registration form are available at:http://iabbq.org/
The registration form can be found at:http://iabbq.org/wp-content/uploads/Annual-Awards-Banquet-for-the-2012-Season.pdf
The judge's session and organizer's information is here at:http://iabbq.org/wp-content/uploads/TWO-MORE-BANQUET-EVENTS.pdf

This is the day to rub shoulders with other Brethren and people that love bbq as much as you do! We look forward to seeing you there.
Respectfully,
BJ Hoffman- V.P. Iowa Barbeque Society

I think I might there this year.:wink:

I like the stuff before the meeting, I think it is a great idea. Maybe i can leave after that and come back later? Ha ha just kidding, I know I gotta be there before 3.

Just a quick note here:

I will be there only as a Master CBJ and a member of the Iowa BBQ Society. While this is going on I am not there as a KCBS BoD member or as the KCBS Judges Advocate.

Any and all opinions that I offer will be mine and mine alone, not those of KCBS, it's Board of Directors or any other person or organization.

Just wanting to make this clear :grin:.

Time is winding down for registration for the Iowa BBQ Society Banquet! This is your chance to hangout with people that love bbq as much as you do! Prior to the banquet there are two breakout sessions. One for judges hosted by Master CBJ's Herb Kane & Dave Compton. The other breakout session is for organizers, future organizers and bbq contest committee members. This session will be hosted by Dena Milhous and Iowa State BBQ Championship organizer, Bob Wenner.
Following the breakout sessions there will be a board meeting and then on to an amazing meal! The event location has a full cash bar as well for your drinking pleasure.
Please visit iabbq.org or PM me for registration information prior to the 21st of January!

Time is winding down for registration for the Iowa BBQ Society Banquet! This is your chance to hangout with people that love bbq as much as you do! Prior to the banquet there are two breakout sessions. One for judges hosted by Master CBJ's Herb Kane & Dave Compton. The other breakout session is for organizers, future organizers and bbq contest committee members. This session will be hosted by Dena Milhous and Iowa State BBQ Championship organizer, Bob Wenner.
Following the breakout sessions there will be a board meeting and then on to an amazing meal! The event location has a full cash bar as well for your drinking pleasure.
Please visit iabbq.org or PM me for registration information prior to the 21st of January!

OK, so I have to drive deep into the scary bowels of mid Des Moines and I can't even BYOC (bring your own cooler)? And we're not even eatin BBQ?
I don't know BJ.
Ed

Ed, this will give you a chance to carry a concealed weapon and support the fine folks at Miller Brewing!::razz: The banquet is at the Ike's clubhouse just off Fleur near the airport and they have a very reasonable bar onsite.
I hope to see you there Ed!

BJ
This sounds like a great day.

Unfortunately MN BBQ Society Annual Banquet is the same day.
Maybe next year you can coordinate the date for those who would like to do both.
Just a thought.

See you and David next week in KC.

Ed, this will give you a chance to carry a concealed weapon and support the fine folks at Miller Brewing!::razz: The banquet is at the Ike's clubhouse just off Fleur near the airport and they have a very reasonable bar onsite.
I hope to see you there Ed!

Dang, guns & alcohol!! I'm there.
Ed

Yeah, I've always felt that Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms would be a great name for a convenience store! :-D

Yeah, I've always felt that Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms would be a great name for a convenience store! :-D

There used to be a store in Shenandoah, IA (I think that was the town) that had "GUNS - BEER - CIGARETTES" across the front of it's roof. I would laugh everytime I drove by and wondered how many people got it.

Hey bbq lovers! It is time to fish or cut bait! I heard this morning that there are less than 50 people signed up for the banquet.:confused:
I know that members have worked hard to have two great education sessions prior to the awards and dinner. I know that new board members are traveling from across Iowa to be sworn in and serve the society. I know that the awards for the bbq categories and TOY the year are amazing this year and would hate to see winners not show up to get their awards. Finally, this is an amazing chance to support and be a part of an organization that gives more than it takes and those receiving the help of the Iowa BBQ Society truly appreciate it.
For those that are signed up, THANKS:wink: For the others on the fence or have failed to sign up, we welcome each and every one of you! Check out iabbq.org for details or send me a PM!:razz:

Back