MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Hot Dog Question

Okay, a friend asked me to smoke some franks for her.
I was unpacking and the baguette caught my eye so I thought what the heck, I don't like hot dog franks, never have, but what I like less is not liking something popular so I'll give it a go.
I sliced up a tomato and a quarter red onion and fried them with a mixture of Mexican spices my friend Boshizzle sent me.
I mixed Ancho, guajillio, De Arbol and chipotle and some Jalapeno powder too.
Now, I have to explain that the pics I've seen and descriptions I've read, the Aussie hot dog sausage is a vastly inferior product the the American originals.
Yours sound great, but ours are pathetic.
There is no such thing as a 'pop' when you break the casing, ours pop like this

and that is what I want to know?
Is it just me and my lack of knowledge on how to coock them?
I put them in a pot of cold water and brought them to a gentle simmer, held them at a simmer for about ten minutes and pop, two out of three exploded.
How are you supposed to cook these things?

The sauce was good but I still dislike the sausage, yet I would like to know how to cook them just in case I have a stroke and forget that I hate them.

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
LMAJ

Some folks grill them. They are all ready cooked so you really just need to warm them up. Once the water boils you peobably only need a couple minutes.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
Soybomb
Full Fledged Farker

I think the secret to a hot dog is treating it as the comfort food that it is. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I don't know what you did to that hot dog. Its a hot dog. I grew up eating them on lousy cheap buns that would sometimes stick to the roof of your mouth with a squeeze of crummy yellow mustard and maybe some melted kraft on them. They weren't great food but they bring back fond memories of childhood and sometimes I miss them.

If I wanted an actual good sausage type thing, I'd look toward brats and the like. Ymmv.
Soybomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Actually up north here we got places that fry the hotdogs tip they rip apart like yours did

Maybe poke some holes in the casing so the excess liquid just drains out instead of steaming inside?

If your dog is very cheap filler heavy, they probably swell with the water and will rip the casing when boiled. Probably best to just grill them. The fillers are basically starch so it's pretty likely that they swelled with the liquid/steam

Old 11-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I don't think there is anything that is more improved by grilling over charcoal than the humble hot dog. Gasser's don't do much of anything for them but charcoal is another story.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Make some slashes across the top and grill em
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

You could make your own then grill them as mentioned.
natural casings tend to hold together.

cheers.
Titch
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
Boshizzle

An Aussie chili dog? I like it!

Where I live, our dogs are fully cooked much like bologna. All we do is heat them up in boiling water, fry them, microwave them, or grill them. They will swell and split a little on occasion but not all the time.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Many places in Chicago prepare like this. They start with a proper all beef dog in natural casing. Drop it in the deep fryer for about a minute and then char on the charcoal grill. Then serve in a steamed poppy seed bun with toppings. I like mine with mustard, onion, tomato slices and pickle spear.

If you are serving at home, boil water. Add in the dogs and turn of the heat. Cover and let stand for about 5 minutes. Then char on the grill.
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
buccaneer

I don't eat sausages very often, not happy with the current state of commercial/butcher sausages.
I do make my own when I just must have sausages but it is a fiddly business by hand.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I will smoke/grill the remainder and give them to a friend who will appreciate them.

I DO like our sausage dogs we have downunder, I usually make sausages when I have to have some of those, or curried sausages also is something I crave every now and then.
I think I am over hot dogs tho.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

I must be really hungry right now. There are all these threads of all the delicious Turkey and stuffings and gravies and deserts that are making my mouth water and my stomach growl............and then ther's this thread about the humble hot dog, and it has the same effect, LOL. It all sounds good!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokp View Post
Many places in Chicago prepare like this. They start with a proper all beef dog in natural casing. Drop it in the deep fryer for about a minute and then char on the charcoal grill. Then serve in a steamed poppy seed bun with toppings. I like mine with mustard, onion, tomato slices and pickle spear.

If you are serving at home, boil water. Add in the dogs and turn of the heat. Cover and let stand for about 5 minutes. Then char on the grill.
Bro, they are nowhere to be found downunder that I have seen or heard of!
Ours are red rubbery casings with pork snout and unmentionables paste inside.

I would bang down on one of those if I ever get the chance, no doubt!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
buccaneer

Sausage dog Aussie style

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokp View Post

I'm thinking Portillo's......be right there!!!!!

Old 11-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
I'm thinking Portillo's......be right there!!!!!
Funny. I like Portillos but they don't char them. I always get the Maxwell St Polish with mustard and grilled onions when I am there.
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote