Rib question

Jaybo77

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Thanking about swapping from spares to loin back ribs. In the KCBS comps. Being KCBS judges see mostly spares. Do y'all thank they get judged equally

We have had success with both. The back ribs, to me, are harder to get in the box due the the curvature of the bone.

Cook what you cook best. Just practice on your box beforehand and have a plan.

Yes I agree they r harder to put in the box. Put we have had a hard time getting good spars down hear in mobile.

I prefer the flavor of the bb's myself but not legal in Texas comps, bummer.

btw those look beautiful and delish

I switched from BB to spares a few years back. I had some success with BB but not near as much with the spares. IMHO a spares box looks better than a BB box. Again just my opinion. I had difficulty finding BB racks with straight bones up here as well.

I dont think it matters as long as your rib kicks ass. Turn in a crappy rib and it wont matter if they are spares/loin backs/berkshire/koyubuto whatever

Cook what you cook best!

That advice comes from the multitude of threads posted here and elsewhere and on my time as a cook and judge.

Good Luck.

TIM

So turned in some ribs with your sauce I see? Kcbs its All about the sauce, don't care what anyone says.

Justin, you continue to speak about what you don't know.

I cook the same rib IBCA / Lone Star/ Texas Gulf Coast that I cook KCBS.

And again, tell me you don't use ( insert whatever you want to call it) on your ribs? Nothing but salt and pepper right? No foil, no Guru or Stoker?

And tell me how these look different from the picture you commented on?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5w0h0rKHHY&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]J$ comp ribs pt.2 - YouTube[/ame]

I don't think anyone said that there was 'trouble' with boxing BBs. They said it was harder than spares and I agree. With spares you can easily get 8-10 ribs in a box by stacking in two rows. The trouble with BBs is fitting more than 6 in a box because you can't stack BBs due to their curvature. And if you put one or two extra below the 6 accross then it looks like the cute little rib has lost his friends. we use to cook only BBs. This season we switched to Spares. Scores were so inconsistent with BBs that we just couldn't take it anymore. We were either rewarded for turning in BBs or we were punished for it with little in betwen. Literally, 2nd place one week and 43rd the next.

This box got us a 2nd plus the Butch Lupinetti 'Top Ribs in NJ' Memorial Award at the NJ State BBQ Championship in Wildwood. The same layout in Green Lane got us a 43rd. If ribs had only been 32 or higher then we finish GC instead of 4th.

photo12.jpg

I doubt the difference between 2nd and 43rd is presentation and how the ribs lay in the box.
Im not championing loin backs as being better just showing that you do not need to present your ribs in the traditional stacked way and that you can present 6 to 9 loin backs as appetizing.
But like others have said, above all, use what works for you.

Back