BBQ in NYC

Caper

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Quick trip in Oct, any suggestions? BBQ or otherwise, thanks in advance!

Fette Sau in Brooklyn. I have never been but many people I have spoken too about it absolutely RAVE about it.

http://fettesaubbq.com/

Avoid blue smoke or hill country and the neeley's place.

Go into Harlem (barely) and check out Dinosaur BBQ. They are very good too!

Why would anyone try to find good BBQ in NYC? There's so much better food...Italian specifically.

NYC is a great place for all kinds of dining, cheap or expensive or anything in between.

Cheap Eats:
Go late night to CRIF Dog for a great hot dog for like $5.

Sushi:
Sushi Yasuda - book a reservation 25-30 days in advance and ask for a seat at the Sushi Bar in front of Yasuda himself

Tasting Menus:
Del Postro or Gramercy Tavern are both great.

Italian:
Way too many choices, cheaper places down in Little Italy and some great (but more expensive) places in midtown

Classic NY Pizza:
Tons of fights here, I usually take first time NY'ers to Lombardi's.

Steak:
Peter Luger - worth the subway/cab ride to Brooklyn, just over into Bklyn from Manhattan so not a far trip. Its classic NY/Classic Steakhouse at its best. There are other ones in nyc, more modern ones, but for what it is, Luger's is just top notch and classic.

BBQ:
Oddly enough, nothing against Jakesw and his opinion, but I usually steer clear of Dino BBQ - very long lines and way too much sauce on anything I've ordered before. Its also usually very loud in there. I usually stick with Hill Country (especially for Brisket/Sausage), Blue Smoke (for ribs) or sometimes to mix it up I go to RUB. I think Hill Country does an "all you can eat" night sometime early in the week like a Monday or Tuesday night, its a very good deal for the price considering the quality of food.

Due to living in NYC for a while, and my job in sales, I've been lucky enough to eat at many of the bigger "famous" NYC restaurants, so any questions, just ask.

Thanks for the responses, excited about our first trip to NYC, the an Italian night and a real NY pizza are definitely required!

If you're hard pressed on BBQ, RUB is centrally located and do a very good job.

Otherwise I'd recommend you try our more well known smoked meat - PASTRAMI. Seriously you could do an entire pastrami tour.

Katz's
2nd Ave Deli
Mile's End NOHO (Montreal style smoked meat)
Carnegie Deli

Back