THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saw the vented Pop up at Wally World
But don't think I would cook under it
Fire Marshal may not approve either ;0)

Depends on the type of smoker and your airflow. We pull our GrillDomes under our unvented pop-ups all the time. Not enough heat escapes them to be any problem at all, but they are insulated, low airflow cookers.

I wouldn't put a stick burner firebox under a canopy, and I'm sure a China Box would set an EZ-up on fire in about three minutes!

We have the Quik Shade C-100 canopy and has 2 big vents at the top. It is a "commercial" heavy duty canopy that has really held up. If you look at home depot in Sept and Oct. you can catch them for $150.

We have the Quik Shade C-100 canopy and has 2 big vents at the top. It is a "commercial" heavy duty canopy that has really held up. If you look at home depot in Sept and Oct. you can catch them for $150.

that sounds perfect. the quik shade models i found with a vent look like this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/QuikShade-Summit-100-sq-ft-Blue-with-Wall/17128897
is that the one you have? the "commercial" version they are showing is this one and it doesn't look like it has any vents in the top.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quik-Shade-10-x-10-Canopy-with-Wall-White/20690094
thanks

I recommend a darker color - the smoke will discolor the canopy. We have a blue one that we use in the rain and it got pretty damn ugly pretty damn fast....

If you are planning on using it to cook under, be careful. A LOT are not built to use while cooking under, and they will say so.... check with the organizer and fire department as to any requirements. The "tent" that I use and have used for years was not "approved" to use at they last contest, but I could use others and they were ok. Non were "approved" to be cooked under.... the only reason I couldn't use my normal one was because it was "too" big.... the only contest in 6 yrs...

If they weather is good, just leave the cooker just outside the tent.... safest thing to do.

I ended up buying a quik shade summit with a vented top, its red and black so shouldn't stain too bad and looks like it will flow plenty of air. I don't plan on moving the smoker under it unless it does start raining but just wanting a plan in case it does. I also got a white ezup express II.

The vent is to relieve air pressure when it is windy so it does not lift off the ground so easy. Personally I would not cook under it, but if you do you may want to run something like a dryer vent hose from the exhaust to the outside of the tent.
Dave

Might be too late, but one thing you have to consider when buying a canopy for comps is the color. We've had all different hues, and have settled on neutral colors as the most practical. The blue and red tents filter the sun in weird ways, making it nearly impossible to get a true look at the presentation of boxes. When using these tents we had to repeatedly step outside in order to view the box in natural light.

We have 2 quik shade canopies and cook under them all the time as it seems to rain every contest we go to. Never had any issues except that they permanently smell like bbq now.

Back