MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
jmoney7269
Banned

Default Roasted comp chicken: rule 45?

Looking for input on chicken cooking on a UDS. I saw this thing called rule 45=4.5 lb chicken 450 for 45 min. My last attempt at comp chicken practice was pretty decent. I'm practicing alot at chicken Because it's my worst category.
Cooked @350 and it was an improvement on my normal 300 cooks

Got a diffuser plate for my UDS now so I think I can push the higher temps. I turn in chicken halves for IBCA and CTBA.
Use 1 chunk of pecan, 3 chunks of cherry, and some
Lit briquettes and let the fire go for 1 hr to clean up before putting the meat on

There is a team in my area called orange maple cookers and they kick everyone's arse with just lump charcoal on a old smokey.

I just bought the IQUE wicked good BBQ book and have heard good things about the spatchcocked chicken. Any comp advise is helpful.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
jmoney7269
Banned

Surely some of you had to of put your chicken on late and had to cook high temp. I just heard Howard Muniz of orange maple cookers just snapped off 1st place chicken in Pasadena tx with over 100 teams. I have cooked against him before in a pretty tough crowd, and got 11th, he obviously got 1st. I would love to know what the heck he does to make his chicken so farkin good!
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

He and his wife compete almost every weekend, Justin. That helps

To be honest, I'm more worried about Teresa than Howard at most comps. In fact she RGC'ed the same 100 team competition you speak of.

Interestingly enough, Women cookers finished 1,2.3.

Cut the chicken in half is my suggestion. Your mileage or course may vary.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

KCBS or ICBA?

For KCBS, cut the chicken into 8ths, and throw out everything except the thighs. Thighs win.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

That is a good looking chicken, a split of spatchcocked chicken is easier to handle once you cut into halves. But, it will cook different that a whole vertical chicken.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Meat Man
Full Fledged Farker

Drill some holes in your UDS, get some rebar and hang em. I would split them for comps. Some of the best chicken I've ever done.

Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote