MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:57 PM   #1
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Concession Trailer

Any of the Brethren teams use Concession Trailers? I just saw this evening that one of my neighbors has a 7 x 12 cargo trailer he may be selling. He used it to carry ATV's. It is tall enough for me at 6' to stand without bowing my head but not much more. There is no concession window and the inside is just plywood. It is 4 years old and has a single axle. I am asking just out of curiousity as my wife would strangle me if she knew I was even talking about this and I don't have the cash right now. I know very little about these types of trailers. He has not given me a price and is in a rush. Are they good to have and make things easier? If I had the money and if it was a good buy I could see some sinks, a large stainless table and a freezer could be put in it easily.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2005, 11:03 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i use a 7x12 open trailer. Like the open type becase i use it for a cooking platform to keep the people away from the pit. clsed trailers are alot better for storage though. How much does he want for it?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2005, 06:08 AM   #3
Sawdustguy

I will find out tonight.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 10-24-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy
It is tall enough for me at 6' to stand without bowing my head but not much more.
I'm right at 6' so maybe I should buy it... with my results, maybe a little bowing of the head might help from time to time!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
Sawdustguy

The neighbor wants $3K for his trailer. It sounds very high. I am on the wife's chit list because he called this morning asking if I were interested and the wife answered the phone. Ah, it's not like I haven't been there before. Well, anyway a new 8 x 14 trailer can be had for $3750 with options for a concession window and 7' headroom. Here is the URL: http://www.kaufmantrailersales.com/cargo032405.htm . It will be a long time before we go for something like this. Maybe in a few years after we get a bunch of contests under our belt and the wives get tired of packing and unpacking after every event.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 10-24-2005, 11:39 AM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

3k is very high for a used 7x12 with a stock opening. They cost about that much new. $3400 brand new right over in Commack. Sounds like hes trying to recover what he paid for it. I have seen them go for a little over 2k after a year and leftovers run about $2800-3000. I'd pass and not give it another thought.

Also, forget about internet pricing, its cheaper, but wont work in the long run. There are about a dozen places on the island that have trailers in stock. I looked about geting from out of state, delivery fees made them cost prohibitive, unless your going to pick it up. Found alot of places in western PA and one right over in CT about 20 minutes form the (Port Jeff)ferry dock. That may be worth it, but with the price of fuel, add another couple hundred to go get it.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2005, 12:04 PM   #7
Sawdustguy

Wow! Those sound like great prices. Maybe next year or year after. It just sounds so convienent. All you would need is one of those 3 sink units, a stainless steel table, a fridge/freezer and some storage. Wouldn't it be nice to just pack everything away in it's place in the trailer after a contest and only have to worry about meat before the next contest. No more worrying about packing everything in the truck the night before traveling to a contest and unpacking it all when you get home, not to mention a cool private kitchen for the competition. I am starting to talk myself into it but my wife will keep me honest.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 10-24-2005, 02:15 PM   #8
icemn62
Babbling Farker

get one get one get one. The wife will only be mad for so long. Once she goes out on the contest trail with you and has less work to do, she will love it.

(besides she is not going to be mad at me )

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2005, 03:01 PM   #9
Sawdustguy

Oh, you guys don't make it easy. I promised to get my wife a new puter for christmas and I just about have the money all saved. She wants an Apple iMac 20" G5. I can't in good conscience spend that money on a trailer. She is a good gal and she deserves something nice. She is by far, the best thing that has ever happened to me. She treats me like a King and let me buy the Lang 84 this year.

Stupidity for Dummies

Old 10-24-2005, 06:12 PM   #10
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Where's Jimmy (Smokin Cracker)? He has a real nice set up, with AC, and a full kitchen he built from scratch. He even has his duel Spicewine smokers mounted on the back.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2005, 06:12 PM   #11
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I see you have a Lang 84. I assume it is trailer mounted.

If you go the "concession trailer route", you need two tow vehicles.
Problem for you????

Just a thought/question

Chad and I have "fussed" with this decision (and still are).

With a trailer mounted cooker (as we have now with Ferris)--two tow vehicles are needed.
Or, we can use a "concession truck" as the primary tow vehicle to pull the cooker.

With an enclosed trailer (with A/C down here), we need to go to "cabinet type" smokers to roll off the back. Drop the towable cooker.

Lots of logistical considerations

TIM