MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
Big slick
is one Smokin' Farker

Default The ultimate mini WSM question thread

I'm preparing to build a mini WSM and I have so many questions and I figured I might as well just start a thread. For this of you that have built a mini WSM please help and chime in where you can. I have a ton of questions and could really use the help. Plus I figure this thread can also help future brethren on their builds as well.

1) I have a Smokey Joe Silver (SJS). Is there that big of a difference between silver and gold?

2) I bought a stainless steel (SS) dog bowl to do the charcoal mod on my SJS. How big should the holes be? is 3/4" big enough? I was planning on drilling 4 holes around the sides.

3) I notice that many of the mini WSMs that i have seen have 2 grates. Do you guys cook on both grates?

4) If so, what the rule on spacing? How far down should the bottom and top grate be from the top of the pot?

5) Some of you drilled holes and some just cut the bottom of your pots off. Is there any difference?

6) Some of you use a 14" clay dish as a diffuser. Is this necessary? What else can I use? If I decide to drill the bottom of my pot will that act enough as a diffuser?

7) What's the most you have ever cooked in your WSM?

Where is the best spot to mount my dial thermometer?

9) Are there certain brands that are just crap or will any dial thermometer work?

10) Does a charcoal ring made from expanded metal add a longer burn time? More or less, is it needed?

11) If there was one thing you wish you would have done when building your mini WSM what would it have been? What would you have added that you didn't think about till later on?

I know I'll have more but lets start with this for right now.

Last edited by Big slick; 08-01-2012 at 11:15 PM..
Big slick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

You should edit the question so that there are numbers with each question.

Apparently, there isn't much of a difference in the smokey joes, but if you have silver, you have to install a cover over the vent.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Here is a link from former posts on this forum.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ni+weber+grill

More info via the Google Search Bar at the bottom of the main page.
Good luck on your build.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm preparing to build a mini WSM and I have so many questions and I figured I might as well just start a thread. For this of you that have built a mini WSM please help and chime in where you can. I have a ton of questions and could really use the help. Plus I figure this thread can also help future brethren on their builds as well.

1) I have a Smokey Joe Silver (SJS). Is there that big of a difference between silver and gold?

I used a Smokey Joe Silver and have no complaints.

2) I bought a stainless steel (SS) dog bowl to do the charcoal mod on my SJS. How big should the holes be? is 3/4" big enough? I was planning on drilling 4 holes around the sides.

I used 1/2" holes so 3/4" should be fine.

3) I notice that many of the mini WSMs that i have seen have 2 grates. Do you guys cook on both grates?

Yep, I have cooked a pork butt and a rack of ribs. Ribs on lower rack and butt on the top.

4) If so, what the rule on spacing? How far down should the bottom and top grate be from the top of the pot?

About 8". Just make sure you can get a pork butt on the lower grate with about 1 to 2 inches of extra clearance on top where the top grate is located.

5) Some of you drilled holes and some just cut the bottom of your pots off. Is there
any difference?

Nope, especially if you use a terra cotta diffuser like I use.

6) Some of you use a 14" clay dish as a diffuser. Is this necessary? What else can I use? If I decide to drill the bottom of my pot will that act enough as a diffuser?

I have no idea. I didn't take any chances and went with the terra cotta tray because that's what I use in my UDS and keg and it works perfectly.

I have cooked a pork butt and a rack ribs at the same time on my mini-WSM made with a Smokey Joe Silver.

about 1" below the top grate.

9) Are there certain brands that are just crap or will any dial thermometer work?

I don't know. The best is made by Tel-True but some cheaper options are available that can do a good job if you calibrate them.

10) Does a charcoal ring made from expanded metal add a longer burn time? More or less, is it needed?

11) If there was one thing you wish you would have done when building your mini WSM what would it have been? What would you have added that you didn't think about till later on?

I can't think of anything.

I know I'll have more but lets start with this for right now.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
mbshop
Babbling Farker

the holes in the dish should equal the size of the original holes.
i suggest keeping it simple till you do a few cooks and then add as you see fit. i do not use a ceramic dish, just a 12 in pizza like pan to act like a diffuser and catch the grease.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Big slick
is one Smokin' Farker

For those that use the clay dish as a diffuser. Do you place that on the bottom grate of the pot or do you rest it on bolts that you insert on the sides?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I used a Silver

I drilled 6 1/2'' holes

I only put in 1 grate I can add another at any time I choose.

My top grate is 4" below the lip

5) Some of you drilled holes and some just cut the bottom of your pots off. Is there any difference?
I cut out he bottom and use the steamer tray for a diffuser

6) Some of you use a 14" clay dish as a diffuser. Is this necessary? What else can I use? If I decide to drill the bottom of my pot will that act enough as a diffuser?See #5

5LB chicken and a Fatty

Directly below the upper grate

I used a Taylor candy thermo very accurate and responsive

I plan on adding one as soon as I get some expando

Charcoal basket

Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

I am also thinking of building a Mini Wsm. Tell me what you experts think about my idea.

1. Want to use a SJG for the firebox.
2. Going to use a 32qt IMUSA steamer pot for the mid section.
3. Going to use a 18.5 OTS for the top section.

I did this with my 18.5 wsm, i mounted a 22.5 OTS to the mid section and turned it into a 22.5 wsm works great.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
Big slick
is one Smokin' Farker

Where is the best place to get stainless steel hardware?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big slick View Post
Where is the best place to get stainless steel hardware?
Home depot, lowes, Menards, and most hardware stores have them.
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #11
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

What would be the best height for the charcoal basket expanded ring ?

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker View Post
I wanted mine to fit under the lip of my pot, so it was cut to that height. 3.5 inches rings a bell.
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker View Post
From here.

Quote:
To make a charcoal chamber, purchase a 12" x 24" piece of expanded metal at the hardware store. Use a jig saw fitted with a metal cutting blade to cut 2 strips measuring 3" x 24". Starting at the center, fasten one piece of expanded metal to the edge of the charcoal grate using a short piece of wire twisted tight with pliers. Continue fastening every few inches until reaching the end of the strip, then go back and fasten going the other direction. You end up with a semi-circle as shown in Photo 17.

Now measure how much material you'll need to close the remaining gap, allowing some excess for overlap at each end. Cut this piece from the second 3" x 24" piece you cut earlier.

As shown in Photo 17, again starting from the center, fasten the expanded metal to the grate in each direction. Fasten both pieces together where they overlap, too.

The end result is a charcoal chamber attached to the charcoal grate, as shown in Photo 18. This approach offers the convenience of being able to shake ashes out of whatever charcoal remains for reuse next time you barbecue.
I am going to build one of these on Sunday. The whole thread I linked is worth reading.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
RW
Full Fledged Farker

It ain't purty, but don't forget the can of chicken mod. Use a church key to punch holes in the top (formerly the bottom) of the emptied can of chicken chunks. I used the chicken on a pizza.
Weber Performer / 18.5 WSM / mini WSM / Primo XL / #14 Old Smokey / Weber Jumbo Joe
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #15
dbq
Full Fledged Farker

Just finished my Mini, cooking a fatty to season it right now. Found the Smoky Joe Gold bottom at the lake over the Fourth of July weekend. Racks are out of my SJS and the Thermo I had planned on putting in a UDS. Loaded it with a chimney of RO Chef Select briquettes, a couple of hickory chunks, fired up about 8 and added them to the center of the pile. This thing is cooking at 325 with both vents completely shut.