Turkey Breast Tenderloin Anybody done these?

L

lowe&slow

was at Sam's at lunch today, btw, they put their baby backs down from 3.88 lb to 2.99 yesterday. I saw these Jenie o turkey breast tenderloins. They come pre marinated in a sealed bag at 3lbs. 1.5 lbs per loin.

Are these too small to smoke? I picked up a package of the Chipolte BBQ, they also had red pepper/garlic.

I am doing a pork butt at 275 on Saturday, I thought about throwing these skinless breast on the top rack. Any thoughts?

Maybe wrap 'em in butter soaked cheesecloth? Or bacon!

I bought some of these last summer. They weren't pre-marinated though, just two maybe 3/4-inch think filets of turkey breast. Planned on a quick smoke but didn't realize it was two pieces.

So I tied them together and gave them maybe an hour. Don't remember the temp, I'm sure around 300. Rubbed with Famous Daves's rub. Turned out pretty good.

I've done them a few times when I was in the need of something fast on the grill. They are definitely enhanced and were a little salty but not to bad and the flavor was good. I do them on the grill as they cook fast and will dry out if you overcook them just like pork tendeloin. In the package I got recently there was just 1 big tenderloin. if you get 2 smaller ones tie them together so they will cook evenly.

I think they would do better indirect on a kettle to pick up some smoke, then seared over the fire.

The Jennie O website doesn't claim enhanced, but "pre-seasoned" That pretty much sums it up. At 450mg sodium per serving, they are most definitely enhanced. Even the "all natural" version has 380mg sodium per serving, so yeah, that's enhanced.

If I was gonna buy one of these, I'd get the all natural version, then try the reverse soak in attempt to remove some of the salt out of it.

well, i looked them up as well and it looks like each 1.5 lb roll is probably 2 large breast chunks rolled up. I am a little disappointed. I have been looking for whole boneless turkey breasts lately and have found none. I came across these today and picked up a package. thinking I was going to have (2) 1.5 pound logs to smoke, this doesnt appear to be the case. blah.

Back