MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Athrasher
Found some matches.

Question Question: Disposing of ash at competition

I'm competing in my first competition next weekend and I feel pretty prepared for the most part. Although I have one (probably dumb) question.... How do you dispose of ash when you finish smoking? I assume you aren't taking it home with you right?

I'm using a WSM so I'm also curious how you guys dispose of the water from bowl as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Athrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
chickenchoker
Full Fledged Farker

most contests have ash cans to dump hot ashes. hopefully they are labeled as such and attendees don't put garbage inside them too....Gettysburg. carry your bottom to the can or dump into aluminum full pans and carry over

Custom Humphreys Comp Cart,Backwoods Party,18.5 WSM with Pro Q stacker, "skeeter" reverse flow offset

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK [URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-Chokers-Bar-B-Que-team/149911985044419[/URL]

2016 Sponsors- Butcher BBQ,Stubbs,Shelter Logic, A Fine Swine, Mojobricks
chickenchoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
New Pal Frank
is one Smokin' Farker

Usually there are well marked grease and ash barrels at the events. Not always used correctly by the public though.
Husband & Wife Team (so far)

[B][I][COLOR=magenta][U]Hug Hogs Competition BBQ Team[/U] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black][U]New Palestine IN[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

My suggestion to you is to shut the WSM down as soon as you can. And go dump the ash earlier rather than later. Seems to me that the ash cans fill up fast, and then that's where things get.... interesting, to say the least.

I'd just carry the base of the WSM to the can. Works fine.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

I have a metal bucket with a lid from Lowes. I dump mine in it then I carry it to the designated ash dump area. Most all well marked and yes I agree with the above dump early before they fill up. And to add locate the area before hand.

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

I do the same as Shiz-Nit. Be sure to have some welding gloves with you to carry and dump hot ash.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

pretty sure per KCBS rules all teams must have an ash can. So ours gets scooped out of the cookers, and into that, and into the ash bin if they have one. If not, we thoroughly saturate the coals with water, than they get dumped into the dumpster.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I have a small metal can for catching ashes like Shiz, but I think I got mine at HD. Lid is bought seperately. Unless the ash cans are conveniently located, I usually don't both at the comp. I do take them home and clean them out there, but I have a stick burner, so it's no big deal. Worse case, the ask can fits inside the smoker. I would probably act differently with a WSM.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
nthole
Babbling Farker

WSM, shut down, dump ash before leaving. If its KCBS I believe they are requires to provide ash and grease cans.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Thanks to all of you who are conscientious about proper disposal of ash at contest sites! As a WSM team, we know it's not always convenient if the hot-ash cans are not close by your space.

I am appalled by the number of times I have seen teams who think it's perfectly okay to roll out of their site leaving an overflowing pan of (sometimes hot) ash behind for someone else to clean up. Really?! This has happened at contests held in municipal parks, on city streets, in shopping centers -- it's a wonder the venues ever offer to host a contest again.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

also remember that dumping a gallon of water into your firebox when teams are crammed in together isnt very neighborly. just close all the vents as soon as possible. Everything can be out by 4pm when it is time to finish cleaning up. for WSM just lug the bottom to the barrel and dump it.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

We are a wsm team also, and as Diva mentioned, more often than not, ash cans are not "reasonably close"

If one is, I will take the bottom bowl of my bullets to it, using my silicone Dorcas gloves, or welding gloves.

If not, I'll fill a full size foil pan 1/2 - 2/3 with water, and slowly pour my ashes in, stopping occaisionalky to stir. I do this until the pan can't take any more without it all being extinguished.

Then repeat with another pan until done. I make SURE it's cool, but if a comp can't provide reasonably close dump cans, I don't feel guilty about this. AS LONG AS IT CANT BURN SOMETHING OR SOMEONE!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
I am appalled by the number of times I have seen teams who think it's perfectly okay to roll out of their site leaving an overflowing pan of (sometimes hot) ash behind for someone else to clean up. Really?! This has happened at contests held in municipal parks, on city streets, in shopping centers -- it's a wonder the venues ever offer to host a contest again.
That brings up a question. What ARE you supposed to do with that pan when there AREN'T any ash cans around and asking the organizer produces an "I dunno, we didn't think about that"? Carry them home with you? Find the municipal dump? What is the commonly accepted practice in this situation?

Thanks!

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #14
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

That's why, in this area at least, that question is always asked/answered at the cooks' meeting. It doesn't take but a few minutes for "I dunno" to turn into somebody making a hardware store run for a few galvanized trash cans. It's just not rocket science. We carry a lidded ash can as well, so we'd be a long damn time waiting for ash to cool to put in it.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]

Last edited by Alexa RnQ; 07-22-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Power and water are scarce here in the Lone Star State.. Ash disposal, almost never.

Hot ash goes in my mini trash can with lid, which goes back inside my drum. If its too burning hot, I pour water in the ash can.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote