• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wood Chips - Grilling or Smoking

chargriller

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a couple of packages of wood chips that I use when I grill with charcoal I toss in a hand full on the the hot coals to give some more added flavor with out burning the bigger chunks I use when I smoke.

Can I also use these wood chips when I am smoking, I know when I use the bigger chunks I preheat them before I toss them into the fire, I can not do that very easy with chips so they will give off a lot of smoke and not burn as long as cunks so should I keep them just for grilling or can I toss them into the smoker every so offten?

I wouldn't throw chips on a pit fire. You get a lot of smoke for just a short time. I use chips like you do - for grilling to add flavor. Lately I will just use chunks that are too small for the smokers. Those chips cost too much per pound!

I think you could toss them in the smoker but it would be like pissing on a high rise to put a fire out.

you could try one of those wood chip boxes that they make for the gas grills. that should give you a bit more smoking time from the chips.
phil

I do have a stainless steel smoker box. Would that be better then just tossing them in for some quick heat and smoke?

Only bad this is that I would have to fish it out each time I wanted to add more.

I'd go with the foil pouch or smoker box. I've had prety good luck with apple chips in a foil pouch. I just toss it right on top of the fire in the ECB.

You can use the chip sin your meco electric, but in the offsets, if you really feel a need to use chips in a log burner, go with the pouch.

I have used dense clusters of chips spread througout my WSM with good results.

ps.. NEVER WET THEM. !!

By neccessity, I used chips in my last brisket cook. It is not a great idea - and I would NEVER recommend it, but.....

1- I found I had to add them frequently, because they ignite and incinerate almoist immediately. Hell0 mini temp spikes.....

2- They do not need to be pre heated

3- Do not pre soak them

4- If possible, concentrate them in locations rather than dusting the surface of your coal bed

5- Pray this all works out.

The lesson, as always, I am an idiot. YMMV.

I read somewhere that this is the only time you should soak chips in water - when you want a little smoke that will last. Dunno, though; never tried it...

Arlin_MacRae said:
I read somewhere that this is the only time you should soak chips in water - when you want a little smoke that will last. Dunno, though; never tried it...

My theory is yes, I will get smoke, but not the kind I want, ie 'clean'.

The only time I would moisten is for sawdust in an electric sausage smoker pan.

Back