MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David
Default Curing Wood

In the wood chunk thread, someone posted a link to fruitawood.com. On that site they say that you should not cook with mold on it and you should not try to remove the mold. They say to discard the wood.

I usually buy Oak or Pecan splits from Academy. However I recently bought a chainsaw. We had a big storm pass through a few weeks back and I found a huge oak branch down on the side of the road. I cut it up and brought it home. It has been stacked on the side of the house curing for the fall. We have been having steady rain and I notices a little mold on the ends. Should I throw it out? Do you think I can salvage it by making lump out of it?

David
The Swine Spectator

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Do you have a saw you can just cut the ends off with? How moldy is it? A little won't be much of a concern IMO. If it's really moldy, then definately toss it...but a little moldy, I would salvage it.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
cliffcarter
is one Smokin' Farker

Unless someone in your family has a mold allergy then you are OK IMHO. However get the wood out of the wet ASAP or the mold will continue to grow. Dry conditions inhibit mold growth.
cliffcarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

1) Keep wood off of the ground while storing and curing.

2) Store it where it get's sun and wind.

3) Keep it covered when it's not being used. Although, I do take the tarps off of mine when it's not raining. Sunlight keeps mod and bacteria from growing.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

It's on a rack and gets plenty of sun, but we've had rain everyday for abou two weeks.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

When the rain stops, get some air and sunshine to it, it will be ok. Good air circulation is important.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Can you not spray down the moldy area with a little rubbing alcohol?
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote