Volunteer cooking

Twelvegaugepump

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have been asked to cook for 100 parents and teenagers for a local at risk youth group. We are planning chicken leg quarters and smoked top sirloin shaved sandwiches. Any suggestions on quantities? A little extra is fine since we can donate it back to the youth center. We will have 10 dozen ears of corn, beans and desserts as well. I just can't seem to figure out how much meat. Thanks in advance.

Go here allrecipes.com a good webpage for figureing indgrients and amounts , also have some good receipes

Leg quartes and sandwichers is a hard thing to figure. Are you planning on one leg quarter per person and then go from there? If so, then you can look at sandwiches that are on the smaller side, as not all will eat them and some will eat just a bit. Maybe figure 1/4 pound cooked product per person adult and 1/8 pound per person child. If you assume a 50/50 ratio, then 50 adults at .25 pounds means 13 pounds cooked, for the kids, 6.5 pounds cooked. So you need 20 pounds cooked sirloin, assuming you cook to medium, you are looking at 25% loss to cooking and trim. So starting with 27 pounds, you lose 25% and end up with around 20 pounds of cooked meat. You could go 30 and be safe. That is 30 pounds going into cooker.

Thus:
100 leg quarters
27 pounds raw sirloin

I've helped cook for a hundred people alot, we do 60 leg quarters, 60 chops, probably 20 pounds of pulled pork for sandwiches, 70 ears of corn, potatoes, 20 pounds of beans, 3 or 4 racks of ribs, and sometimes even a few steaks....we usually always have food left over

Teen aged boys will eat you out of house and home. 1 lb. meat per person raw.

Back