• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Knives

nmayeux

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a nice set of knives for competition next year. Currently, I use a set of Henckels, with a couple of Victorinox odds and ends, but they will stay in the kitchen. I have two questions regarding competition:

1. What brands do you prefer?

2. What particular types of knives do you carry to competitions?

I am willing to spend the money to buy a good set of knives, but at the same time will look for a deal. Craftsmanship, construction, duribility, and edge holding ability are very important to me. I prefer to sharpen with a steel, but input on knife sharpening at comps would also be helpful. You guys are the pros, and I appreciate your input.
Noah

I like my Henckels Chefs Knife, but I also have a Chef's Choice (Target Brand) that is a little softer and sharpens very nicely.

Oh, my...another "here we go again" thread! :cool:

This topic has been beat on at least twice in the last year...but I'm not looking up the threads!! :twisted:

You don't need many knives for competition. A good slicer, a boning or utility knife and maybe a pareing knife. A chef's knife will get some use but you're not going to be doing a lot of knife work.

A good sharpener and steel are more important that the knives themselves.

Just about any decent knife will get the job done. I've got an inexpensive set of Farberware that I use - and if one get's "misplaced" I won't have to call in the cops for grand theft!

When I start replacing I'm going with the NSF approved knives at GFS or Sam's - the prices are right, the steel's ok, and they take a lot of abuse. I'm in the market for a good slicing knife - for brisket.

Like I said: a good sharpener (I've got a Chef's Choice manual) and steel are really important.

For the comps, a good chef knife for all around use, and a very good slicing knife for the brisket. I have a 14" slicer(with kullens) that i use on the briskets and that does not come in the house.(comp only). Also, found that a good poulty shears or scissor works well for triming the thighs and making the skin look even. I take my henckels with me, but those are my day to day knives. I keep the slicer in the competition stuff though.

But honestly, I don think a seperate knife set of any higher quality than your day to day knives is needed. If anything, the comp knives get less use, so even mediocre steel will hold up, whereas my day to day are the better stuff. The slicer i got was a 40$ restaurant depot special that works perfectly.

I use a couple of small knives for trimming chicken and a chef's knife for trimming fat on butts and brisket but for slicing for turn-in, I use an electric carving knife.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a carbon steel slicer that you can put an extremely sharp edge on that has to be over 100 years old!! Works great but you do need to sharpen it after every use. My Nonno (Grandfather) brought it with him from Italy. He first came to America in 1906!

That is cool that you have something in the family that old, and it is still working

Us Polocks use Henckel Professional S knives......Mainly because I got a set of them for my Birthday. :cool::wink: Their 10" Granton Slicer is fantastic, so is the 8" Santoku. I prefer it over a chefs knife.

You should look for a Japanese set made by Hattori Hanzo. Of course you may have to go to Japan to buy them. You can find information about Hattori Hanzo if you google him.

Wayne said:
You should look for a Japanese set made by Hattori Hanzo. Of course you may have to go to Japan to buy them. You can find information about Hattori Hanzo if you google him.

Those are a little outside of my league!! But if I ever decide to become a ninja...

Noah

Good to see your getting rolling.
OK I got the fancy steel too but it stays home... just aint necessary.

I bought all the knifes I need in my Q trailer at Sam’s.
Russell International (High-Carbon)
They sharpen nice on a steel if you know how to use it and they won’t break the bank.

I made the decision to use these knifes after one of my Cutco’s walked at a contest.

Don’t get caught up in the who’s got the biggest knife contest!
No need.
Almost forgot I use a few pairs of scissors also...

I suggest "Chicago Cutlery"

Is is my go to knife

(not kidding. I leave the henkels for real work, but if I grab a knife, I grab the Chicago knife, 6 quick sharpening thingy's, and cut.)

So my advice? If you compete, whatever you use, bring the sharpening tool

No other mention of electric knives? Does anyone else use them at comp? It just seemed to go a lot more smoothly with the electric.

Jeff,
I use an electric knife to filet fish, but I don't trust myself with it during a competition. As quick as that thing cuts, I could mess up a couple of days work in a hurry! I'm sure it would just take practice, as I am very comfortable with using it with fish.

Thanks for the advice, and sorry Dave for beating your dead horse:twisted: ! I picked up a set of Chicago Cutlery knives today. I had gone to Target to pick up a broom, and strolled by the knife isle. Suprisingly they had a pretty good selection of cutlery, with Henckels, Victorinox, and Chicago Cutlery. However, when reading the labels, all these knives are made in China, with the exception of a Victorinox set, and a couple of high end single Henckels. I had no idea that any of the major makers would source out to China:frown: . Anyway, the stainless handled Chicago Cutlery set caught my eye because they are one-piece(looked easy to clean), and they were on sale for $39.00, saving me at least $60.00:p ! Anyway, thanks again for the advice, and hats off to ChiBill!

Noah

No hat off needed.

Chicago Cutlery is a decent knife. Nothing more.

What makes my CC knives shine is the sharpening (or is it honing) Henkel stick.

The Professional S line of Henkels comes with a sharpener/honer. I use it on all my knives. My Chicago Cutlery knives were good. After I honed them, they are a great every day knife now

CC knives are Consumer Reports best pick, and rated 10th overall in the november issue. For the price, they performed better than several top names that cost several times more. Anyway, I guess I would be a little timid to have a $400.00 set of knives sitting out in the open for a couple of days.

Back