MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-05-2005, 08:28 AM   #1
chargriller
Full Fledged Farker

Default Store Brats

Hello All,

I would like to smoke some brats but do not have the equipment at home to make them so I was just going to buy some store brats.

Can they be smoked?

What do you want to internal temp to be?

How long do they take?

Thanks for any help.

In order of use:
Char-Griller Smokin Pro
BSKD
Meco Electric Water Smoker

Xbox Live: char skd1
Wii - 4548 1877 4323 1724
Blog: The Casual Gamer
chargriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 08:56 AM   #2
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

yes

3 hours at 225

Johnsonville 3# pack at Costco

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
chargriller
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Bill,

What temp do you get them to, like 160 or 170 range?

I might have to load up the smoker and throw some on for lunch some time with chicken.

In order of use:
Char-Griller Smokin Pro
BSKD

Old 10-05-2005, 09:06 AM   #4
Bill-Chicago

Sacrafice one for the team.

Cut in half and see if its done.

If yes, eat

If not, call the dog.

Not kidding. I have never done the temp thingy with sausage of any kind, including fatty.

You hold your temps up, they'll be fine. If they are a bit lower temps, another half hour to an hour might be needed.

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle

Old 10-05-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
chargriller
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds like a game plan.

Thanks Bill

In order of use:
Char-Griller Smokin Pro
BSKD

Old 10-05-2005, 09:12 AM   #6
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

Can't go wrong with Johnsonville, IMO. Bill's got it right: just cook 'em till they're done. I usually check the temps on fatties, but not other sausage. If you've got the ability, you might roll 'em around on top of the fire for a couple minutes after they're smoked to char 'em up a little-- that's how I like them.

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle
Curb-foundling char-broil gasser
WSM: Assembled! First cook: 8/25/06
Fanatical devotion to the Q
VitaminQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 09:17 AM   #7
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Yup same as Bill and Q,if i'm in a hurry i smoke them as long as possible then finish on the grill.Johnsonville Beerbrats are my favorite.
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 09:29 AM   #8
parrothead

I smoke johnsonville a lot. Coolest part of the chamber. Couple hours maybe. Then either to the hottest part or throw on the grill. They come out excellent. I have done big batches and don't finish them, then freeze or throw in the fridge for the week to finish off on the grill.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 09:33 AM   #9
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

Uzingers makes awesome brats. Our Sam's Club here in KC carries them. I thought they were better than Johnsonville. They come 24 to a pack. If you decide to temp them, 160 is done if cooking over a hot fire (they will rise a few degrees), 165 if you are smoking them.

If I do everything half ass, how can I be a "full fledged" anything?
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 09:50 AM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Heres how I do it... not completely conventionally smoked, but sure are good.

I'm a big fan of Johnsonville. Like them better than the ones we get at the German deli or butcher shop.

Slice 2-3-4 large vidalia onions. Put them in a deep pan or pot that will fit in the hottest part of your chamber(in a horizontal, right next to the firebox). In the bandera, I used the Waterpan lined with a couple layers of foil. I also will start the onions in a pot on a stove to soften them slightly, just till the sweat. Anyway.....

Put the onions in the pan, a few whole cloves of garlic, add your brats and a few cans of beer, enough to cover the brats plus some extra. (I also preheat the beer a little, just so its not cold. This is the purpose of schafer ). Add some Franks Red hot to taste, a few shakes of worschestire sauce. I also throw in bay leaf or 2. Let them simmer in the beer and onions in the chamber for a while. When your ready for one, just take it out of the beer and put it next to the pan in the hot spot, or on the grill for a minute. Then serve with some of that smoked beer and onion soup spooned on top. Good chit. I serve it open faced on Artisian Bread.

During parties, I will keep replenishing the beer and onions as I use them. When all is done, I'll put the remaining soup in the fridge. The fat will rise to the top and harden so u can remove it all the next day. What remains is the best onion soup u ever had.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 09:51 AM   #11
Bill-Chicago

Yes to Uzingers as well

A great Milwaukee Brat.

Wasn't aware they were nationwide.

Thanks Rod

The death of "willkat98"

Old 10-05-2005, 10:50 AM   #12
dapittboss
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Heres how I do it... not completely conventionally smoked, but sure are good.

I'm a big fan of Johnsonville. Like them better than the ones we get at the German deli or butcher shop.

Slice 2-3-4 large vidalia onions. Put them in a deep pan or pot that will fit in the hottest part of your chamber(in a horizontal, right next to the firebox). In the bandera, I used the Waterpan lined with a couple layers of foil. I also will start the onions in a pot on a stove to soften them slightly, just till the sweat. Anyway.....

Put the onions in the pan, a few whole cloves of garlic, add your brats and a few cans of beer, enough to cover the brats plus some extra. (I also preheat the beer a little, just so its not cold. This is the purpose of schafer ). Add some Franks Red hot to taste, a few shakes of worschestire sauce. I also throw in bay leaf or 2. Let them simmer in the beer and onions in the chamber for a while. When your ready for one, just take it out of the beer and put it next to the pan in the hot spot, or on the grill for a minute. Then serve with some of that smoked beer and onion soup spooned on top. Good chit. I serve it open faced on Artisian Bread.

During parties, I will keep replenishing the beer and onions as I use them. When all is done, I'll put the remaining soup in the fridge. The fat will rise to the top and harden so u can remove it all the next day. What remains is the best onion soup u ever had.
Dang, that sound so good right now. Looks like I'm stopping at the store...

Oklahoma Joe Highland Smoker
Brinkmann Trailmaster Vertical offset
35LB commercial deep fryer
dapittboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 11:08 AM   #13
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
Yes to Uzingers as well

A great Milwaukee Brat.

Wasn't aware they were nationwide.

Thanks Rod
Don't think they are. AT least not down here in God's country
brdbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 11:12 AM   #14
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I cook mine in beer and onions similar to what Phil does. Then a quick roll on a hot grill to crisp them up. Usinger's are great, but buy Johnsonville! They are a customer of ours and if you guys all buy more Johsonville products, they can my more videoconferencing systems, and I can buy more Johsonville products! See how that works?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2005, 12:41 PM   #15
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L
They are a customer of ours and if you guys all buy more Johsonville products, they can my more videoconferencing systems, and I can buy more Johsonville products! See how that works?
The circle of life

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote