New to BBQ world

J

jla678

My husband had a road side BBQ about 7 years ago when we lived in upstate NY. We have since moved to Florida and he has been itching to pursue his passion of doing BBQ. We purchased a smoker and he is taking care of all the license and health dept stuff. I am in charge of finding events to do. My question is, Anyone know where I can go to find events in my area that we would be able to attend? We have checked out the local farmers markets but the hubs is also looking for a “event”. I don’t know if there is a site that shows all local events that you vend or what not, so I am just throwing it out there…ALL and ANY feedback is welcome.

We live in West Palm Beach, FL and have a smoker that sits on a 20ft boot trailer, we will be doing Chicken, ribs and some sides. Please forgive my lack of knowledge about BBQ, I am very new to this and trying to support my husband and start a success business as well.

Thanks all.

Welcome!

Definitely check FBA (Florida BBQ Association) and KCBS for listings. Some of the towns/cities around you probably have seasonal festivals that make for great vending, especially BBQ.

Are you looking solely for BBQ-related events? I imagine you could do well at festivals or outdoor events of any kind, such as car shows, boat shows, town/county fairs. In Washington DC we have a local weekly paper called the City Paper, which has listings of weekly events in the metro area, I'll bet West Palm Beach has something similar. It may be too late to get registered for those events, but it will be good to figure out what events are held at certain times of the year. You might also contact the city council to find out what events the city is sponsoring and/or permitting. If there is a university nearby you might contact their public relations department to see if they are hosting any events you could vend at.

Welcome to the forum and good luck to you both!

Back