Competed in my 1st BBQ competition

smoker jayson

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This past Saturday I competed in a backyard BBQ competition at the swinetastic BBQ festival in Frederick , Md.
There was over 70 pro teams and 25 amature teams
As an amature we had to cook any kind of pork ribs so we did spare ribs trimmed up to st Louis style and well we did pretty good we finished 15th out of 25 teams I was just hoping not to be last

Keep up the good work and soon you will be competing with the big-boys!

Congrats!

Congrats on the first cook. As a newbie, beware of the bbq addiction. You could end up like me. I competed in one amateur rib competition earlier this year, took first. Said that was kind of fun. Next thing you know, for the remainder of this year, I'm signed for 3 backyard competitions, 2 professional, helping out at a Sam's Club event, and assisting with two more professional competitions. Trust me, they need a support group for this addiction. I AM HOOKED!!!

Wait a second...this support group is the Brethren. And you guys keep me coming back for more. THANK YOU.

Last edited:
This past Saturday I competed in a backyard BBQ competition at the swinetastic BBQ festival in Frederick , Md.
As an amature we had to cook any kind of pork ribs so we did spare ribs trimmed up to st Louis style and well we did pretty good we finished 15th out of 25 teams I was just hoping not to be last

very nice! I also competed in my first compitition on june 16th on long island. Only 10 teams but We finished 4th overall, Missed 3rd by 1/2 point. Now I need to step up to a two day compitition but don't feel like sleeping on the floor overnite. Need to think of something else.

You did not get D.A.L. so you are hooked.:clap2::clap2:

We competed in that also... we were over on the passenger side of the crane. What a great day! Nice weather, and a great time overall! It was our second comp.

We competed in that also... we were over on the passenger side of the crane. What a great day! Nice weather, and a great time overall! It was our second comp.

Great name. Congrats! So, when you jumping over to the KCBS side?

Not for a while. We want to get a few amature competitions under the belt and I haven't really smoked anything but ribs so I need to try brisket, shoulder/butts and so on

very nice! I also competed in my first compitition on june 16th on long island. Only 10 teams but We finished 4th overall, Missed 3rd by 1/2 point. Now I need to step up to a two day compitition but don't feel like sleeping on the floor overnite. Need to think of something else.

Wait...people actually get to sleep at a competition???

Congrats!!! Your hooked....just admit it!! don't run from it - embrace it!!

Congrats! That was a great comp to start out with. Very well run. Good luck on your next one1

Not for a while. We want to get a few amature competitions under the belt and I haven't really smoked anything but ribs so I need to try brisket, shoulder/butts and so on

Stop over at 1:30 Saturday at one of our comps and you can try our food and pick our brains for a bit. We can get you pointed in the right direction.

Back