MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
redneck allstar
Knows what a fatty is.

Default never buying meat from a box store again

Let me first say that i have heard the warnings of not buying meat from wal-mart and other box stores but Im a try myself type of guy. I normally buy all my meat from our local meat shop but last year I saw some ribs on sale (1.29/lb) at our local walmart and i snatched up a few slabs (actually as many as I could find). I used them for several cook outs and I thought they were actually pretty good. They were a hit with the family and friends. Unfortunatly I cannot remember the brand.

This year over memorial day weekend I was walking through Target and I saw they had ribs on sale so I picked up three slabs (I also cannot remember the brand). let me just cut to the chase. They were horrible. The worst ribs I have ever made BY FAR!!!! I would actually say they were uneatable. They were soooo hammy tasting and after 6 hours (3-2-1) in the smoke at 250 there was no fall off the bone. After the cookout there were at least 2 slabs left and let me just say that just aint right. Ive never had ribs left after a cook. I would say that it compleatly ruined the cookout but I had some killer pulled pork and a pan full of abt's.

Did anyone else get the ribs from target over memorial day? Did you have the same results? Im trying to remember what brand they were. I think they were hormel. Any advice or comments would surely be welcome.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

I think that sale was poted about here......and several folks mentioned they had a lot of solution added and were "hammy" tasting. Some said they wouldn't buy those at any price. We all should pay attention to this when buying.......and pay special attention when things are unexpectedly cheap. At least you know what to avoid now and can probably prevent this in the future.
HogFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ya got read the label, if under ingredients it has anything but Pork listed put it down and look else where! same holds true for Poultry. Never by anything with a Tyson label they "ENHANCE" all their meat.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Mark

Moral of the Story

Do not buy your meat in the same store you buy your underwear.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, been there done that. I to had several bad experiences with both Target and Wal-Mart meat. I just bite the bullet and go down to a local butcher shop and get the real deal. It cost me a bit more but the big grocery chains can't match the qaulity.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
huskerfan1200
Knows what a fatty is.

Most likely Hormel brand. Target here in Rochester had a similar sale at Memorial Day.
huskerfan1200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
redneck allstar
Knows what a fatty is.

I learned a valuable lesson. I definitely will be buying all my meat from now on here in town. The butchers know me by name and usually invite me back as they prepare my cuts. You wont get that at wal-mart or target.

Somewhere along the line service has been lost and its all about low prices and quantity.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
Sub-80
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Moral of the Story

Pretty much agree...except I've found large packs of underwear at Costco before...and I think their meat is decent.

But I knew what you meant...
Sub-80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Chances are at Target you got smithfield or hormel enhanced ribs. You do NOT want these.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Enhanced, you have to read the label..

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Ribbin' Randy
Full Fledged Farker

I've got to agree with the enhanced pork products...however, the last 2 briskets I did were bought from wally world and both were considered "home runs" by my guests.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

Yep...they were "enhanced". I have no problem buying meat at Sam's. Always good quality...just stay away from "enhanced" products.
A large chain in Kansas sells the Kroger brand "Moist and Tender" pork products...Butts, ribs, loins...all enhanced with up to 18% solution...It is nasty chit...tastes just like you said... Ham!
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

I don't believe that it's common practice to enhnace beef with the 12-14% sodium solution which is common with pork products. If there are any nitrites added to that enhancing solution you're guaranteed a lovely ham flavor and consistency.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Moral of the Story

Old 06-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
BBQ Grail

It's not the stores fault you didn't read the label and didn't know what you were buying.

I've bought great meat from lots of box stores and I've also purchased crappy meat from good butchers.

As the consumer you have the responsibility to know that "enhanced" ribs are going to give you the hammy flavor when smoked. Most people buying ribs at those stores are using the oven, boiling first or crock potting. Thus the hammy issues isn't an issue...

I am no longer captious...so bite me Shane.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@larrygaian.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->