Char-Griller Akorn - Is it the BGE killer?

Cabin Fever

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Since the Akorn has been out for a good while now and quite a few members here own one, is it still looked at as the BGE killer that some originally thought it would be? I guess a better and more fair term though would be "ceramic kamado killer" since the Akorn isn't ceramic.

I saw one at my local Gander Mountain earlier this year and it had that cheap wobbly effect that Char-Grillers have so I didn't give it a second thought. After reading reviews about the unit it turns out that's how most of the floor models are put together and it's actually pretty well made if you do it yourself.

With that said, I can't seem to find a single negative review about the Akorn. It turns out that most stores that carry them are even having a hard time keeping enough in stock. Now, I know this is gonna sound a little off, but is there any reason to spend the extra cash on a large style ceramic cooker when it sounds like the Akorn performs just as well?

I'm just looking for opinions so please try not to shoot me. :pray:

Lowes here had them at 50 dollars off over Memorial Day weekend. I'm hoping for another good sale around Labor day. A BGE will always be out of my price range and level of clumsiness, but I do like this Akorn.

Gander Mountain here in EP, MN has them right now for $50 off. The way I look at it compared to the ceramics is that even if it's just 75% of a cooker in comparison it's about 25% of the price so that makes it a pretty darn good deal.

I am going to pull the trigger on one of these is a few months. My Cousin is a manager @ Lowes, and i can get one heck of a deal on it

I don't think they are a BGE killer, I mean don't get me wrong I love mine but if I would have had the money I would have gotten a BGE. The quality of the egg is definitely better than the Chargriller Kamado but for what the BGE costs it's out of my price range for a bit. It really just depends on what you are looking for and what your price range is but as for me I am happy with my Chargriller Kamado for now considering the price of the unit.

You won't be able to join the Cult of the Green Egg. You will spend all the money you save on meat. You will get fat. Other than that... I think you're right about the effect on Egg sales. There will always be some who are willing to pay extra for ceramic's thermal mass and weather resistance (and beauty, in the case of the Komodo Kamado) but I think that most new customers will choose the less expensive option. The number of Bretheren who have bought the Acorn demonstrates that fact. If Weber builds an insulated Kamado (There's a rumor)with the quality of their other products... and their established dealer network, people would probably be willing to pay a hundred or two more than the Acorn.

I have one I really like it.

If you have Winn Dixie grocery stores in your area, they have them for $259.

I have had mine for a couple of months. Did a few mods for it mostly to help seal it up. I have cooked steaks, chicken, pizza, butts, ribs. It is some of the best food I have had off the grill. A lot of why it is so good is I have been hanging around here and learning a ton. I cannot see where a ceramic could do a better job. Don't hit me!! they may last longer but I'm not sure about that either. Some of the rack systems I have seen for the ceramics look like a lot of trouble as well. I'm happy so far.

I don't think so. I have a BGE and I spent a lot of time researching it. (I'm an engineer, I have issues :wacko: ) I love that my BGE worked great out of the box and I didn't have to mod it or seal it or what ever, I love the way it looks in the yard, the ceramic is a great insulator so all night smokes in the New England Winter are no problem and there are a ton of accessories for it. At $800 for the egg, plate setter, 2 bags of BGE lump and an ash tool, the price isn't too bad either. Plus it will last a lifetime or two.
I am probably their target consumer. I make a good enough living where I can buy what I want and don't mind paying for quality and convenience.

That said, I think the acorn sounds great and I'd love to see one. I'm sure it can cook a great product.
-Kenny

Lowes here had them at 50 dollars off over Memorial Day weekend. I'm hoping for another good sale around Labor day. A BGE will always be out of my price range and level of clumsiness, but I do like this Akorn.

Wish I knew that. I bought a couple for gifts. That's a great price for that cooker.

Oh, nope it's not a BGE killer. It isn't Bubba/Big Steel/Charbroil Keg killer either.

I don't think they are going to be BGE killers any more than Lang's became Klose killers.

That said though, I would probably get an Akorn before getting a BGE, simply based on price point. If it had problems, I could probably afford another one and still save money.

I've never smoked on an egg but I know that my Akorn will sit on a temperature and stay there, and that's half the battle. Plus, it saves on lump due to how it snuffs itself out when I'm done cooking. I've done beef ribs, brisket, 2 shoulders, babybacks, tri-tip and a couple steaks on different days and I am still using the initial 20 lb bag of lump.

I never got that out of my UDS. That is probably the market that will suffer some. For the price, unless you want to mess with building a UDS just to say you've done it, an Akorn is the way to go. I think it will open up a whole new group of 1st time smokers. Even with my family and friends the price point is now very reasonable to join the fun.

It will not be a BGE killer. BGE is so successful because its an amazing product using a great heat conductor (ceramic) supported by great customer service. Not to mention the years of brand loyalty built up.

Both of these cookers will have their places in the market.

P.S
I paid $275 for my Large BGE in mint condition with nest, an electric lighter and a full bag of lump. They can be gotten very inexpensively if you watch craigslist or use craiglist notify - just be patient and vigilant.

...If Weber builds an insulated Kamado (There's a rumor)with the quality of their other products... and their established dealer network, people would probably be willing to pay a hundred or two more than the Acorn.

:shock: Really?!? I had no idea, but if you're right I'd be one of those guys.

That's the beauty of capitalism. A company (in this case BGE) brings a new idea to the market and commands a premium price-until someone builds a better mousetrap, or an equivalent mousetrap at a much lower price point.

BGE will probably always have its place, but it may find its margins squeezed by competitors like the Akorn. And if a company like Weber, with its brand recognition, enters the fray then BGE's margins will be further pressured.

And yes, the Akorn is a helluva good rig.

IMO the BGE is not better lookin than the char Griller. I have not done any mods and I still like it. That said I should go back and see what mods I should do on it.

And I have looked at some in other stores and some look like plain ole crap so check out other stores if it don't look right.

Hopefully not a BGE killer, but a BGE improver.

I.e.- When Acura introduced the NSX to the sports car market. It didn't kill Ferrari, but forced Ferrari to really improve the quality of their cars.

With more competition, BGE will need to make improvements, perhaps adjust pricing, to compete. In the end, it will be better for us, hopefully.

I've never owned a BGE so please excuse my ignorance. Can they be cracked by a thrown rock from a lawnmower? Can they still be used after being cracked?

Back