MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Pitmasters show - judging problems

Mods. Posted here as its a discussion on competition judging.

Judge the entry as presented. Well 2 judges totally trashed that concept. Went in with preconceived notions of what they wanted to see in a brisket box and scored down when it wasn't there. Now I think the majority of certified judges in all organizations follow the judge as presented concept but I also think that a minority go in with preconceived notions of what thay want and when they don't get it they score down. This certainly explains those judge 6 scores.

I know it's tv but I'm very disappointed in one judges in particular who should know better.

Please try to keep relies on topic.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Parts_Guy
On the road to being a farker

That was my thoughts exactly. Tuffy and Myron should know better. I give that other guy the benefit of the doubt.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

It's TV, not a KCBS contest.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
It's TV, not a KCBS contest.
You're sure right about that. Not sure all the cooks realized it.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

... I *HOPE* it's because it's TV with no real rules and only preconceived notions and expectations. Otherwise, yeah, not good. Did they have rules, or was it like it has been in the past with just willy-nilly judging?
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

I would hope they would have gave us MORE insight into what they were expecting/looking for.

Not because it is in anyway useful in a comp, but because there was some serious BBQ muscle on the judging stand, and any insights are interesting.

Like Podge said, it's TV not KCBS.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I can't believe this is even being discussed. Where is tri-tip allowed in KCBS? Its not... Just as this was not a made for KCBS show... IT WAS A MADE FOR TV SHOW!!!!!

I had no complaints on this episode. It would have been nice to see more new faces. Sure there are a few. But there are also a lot of the same. No slam towards anyone in particular. I personally feel Big Poppa should have been on...

I also can't believe how many of them were cutting with the grain!!!!

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Fourthwind
Found some matches.

Unfortunatly I have seen some of this behavior in the tent before. Can gaurantee a bunch of rookie teams are going to make sure they put their burnt ends in the box. LOL

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

I thought this didnt premiere until Sunday??

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I can't believe this is even being discussed. Where is tri-tip allowed in KCBS? Its not... Just as this was not a made for KCBS show... IT WAS A MADE FOR TV SHOW!!!!!

I had no complaints on this episode. It would have been nice to see more new faces. Sure there are a few. But there are also a lot of the same. No slam towards anyone in particular. I personally feel Big Poppa should have been on...

You hit it right on the head. Bbq has more than enough ingeresting people and characters. Ive had just about all the trigg, lee Ann whippen I can take.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Lee Ann will be in a future episode
Naw I woulda liked Trigg goin into his boot last night

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
You hit it right on the head. Bbq has more than enough ingeresting people and characters. Ive had just about all the trigg, lee Ann whippen I can take.
Unless I'm mistaken all the guys on the show last night were new faces.

Plus two new judges who were huge upgrades.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #13
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post

Scottie. Comments were not directed at the show but were about preconceived notions about what judges want to see. I believe this attitude exists in a significant minority of judges in all organizations. Remember I'm FBA now with some KCBS. but I think a lot of judges in all organizations will now be looking for burnt ends in the box this summer and will score down if not there. BTW here in FBA we see a lot of burnt ends in boxes. But as Jim said they better be good and here that means lots of sugar on them. Not my personal preference.

I agree it would have been nice to see Dana, Jimmy Brod or Terry McKay as well. Not to mention you, Mike W., Chad and so many others. I don't know if any of the Florida boys even sent in a tape.

Carolyn immediately picked up on the grain as well. I posted my comments on the show in Q-talk. Overall an improvement. Tuffy was great.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

“BBQ Pitmasters - judging problems” this is the topic of discussion. I see no judging problems on this TV show. Now, if you want to talk preconceived notions on what judges should or should not look for as a result on watching this show, I like to give the judges a benefit of the doubt that they will judge as taught in a judging class, in a real sanctioned contest.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #15
Fat Freddy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Ok I am going to walk both sides of the line here. I liked the show and enjoyed many aspects of it. I know it is just a TV show with there own rules. I understand that completely. However I HOPE that new judges go by what is taught in class, to judge as presented and not because you want something else in there.

Lets be honest cooks have listened, and tried stuff they have seen on TV, so it is not beyond the possibility that a judge may do the same. I know last night I ABSOLUTELY got a call from another cook and this cook did say to me "I guess I will always have to put burnt ends in now because the judge expects it".....As for me my burnt ends need lots of work so much like the on theshow I will only turn them in if they turn out very good.

But it is only a show with its own rules, and I am going to watch it for entertainment only(maybe a hint here or there) but I wont change anything because of this season of the show.