generic cambro question

Smilin' Santa's BBQ

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
i know this has probably been discussed a thousand times, but I am just getting into comp BBQ and thinking about purchasing a Carlisle or cambro, question is, how long can you safely hold food in the cambro before turn in, not safely by usda standards I mean safely without sacrificing the heat and/or texture of your meat. I have heard of some people taking their butt and brisket off early before the ribs go on and holding til turn in from like 5 am ... is this feasible?
Any info on cambro's could help me here

Last edited:
Absolutely. Some heat up the cambro with a pan of heated water before putting meat in. Others let the butts and briskets heat up the unit. Most people I know pull there meat pretty early in the morning and hold in the cambro.

And this doesn't make the meat mushy, or end up being too cold?
Just sounds too good to be true, I need to buy one and test it myself I guess, this would really be great for using one smoker.
What size is good for comps, holding two briskets, two butts, 4-6 slabs and some thighs?

And this doesn't make the meat mushy, or end up being too cold?
Just sounds too good to be true, I need to buy one and test it myself I guess, this would really be great for using one smoker.
What size is good for comps, holding two briskets, two butts, 4-6 slabs and some thighs?

It can, depending on how much meat you put in, how long you hold it, and how hot it is when you pull it etc...

Wrong thought IMO. You want to put your butts and briskets in it. Ribs and Chicken should be coming off the cookers.

I compete with two BGE's and used to cooler my brisket and pork to make room for ribs and chicken. I've got a Cambro now and love it.

i know this has probably been discussed a thousand times, but I am just getting into comp BBQ and thinking about purchasing a Carlisle or cambro, question is, how long can you safely hold food in the cambro before turn in, not safely by usda standards I mean safely without sacrificing the heat and/or texture of your meat. I have heard of some people taking their butt and brisket off early before the ribs go on and holding til turn in from like 5 am ... is this feasible?
Any info on cambro's could help me here

Use search.......

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I've held 2 butts and a whole packer brisket in our cambro 5+ hours and still to hot to handle without insulates gloves.6th place call in pork and 3rd in brisket at a comp 3 weeks ago.

Wrong thought IMO. You want to put your butts and briskets in it. Ribs and Chicken should be coming off the cookers.

I compete with two BGE's and used to cooler my brisket and pork to make room for ribs and chicken. I've got a Cambro now and love it.

What size eggs do you compete with?

Thank you, I also am using tapatalk and have yet to figure out how to search, and it really stinks too

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

What size eggs do you compete with?
Large. I sometimes take a small for dinner Friday.

We are looking to add another cooker for increased grid space to enter into peoples choice etc. Leaning towards a Backwoods.

Use search.......

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I learn from new posts....... even if it's been asked before...

back to the question, I do depend on cambro's, it's part of how we cook, and before we use it for holding, it's a excellent cooler.

The cold or mushy question depends on what you do with your meats. Pork butts hold a lot of heat and could overcook themselves or other meats if you pack them tightly. Putting 2 butts next to your "just right" brisket may not be a good idea.

If you are going to tightly pack something, and it's cooked perfectly, leave it out for a few minutes before you put it in the Cambro to slow the cooking process.

Cambro makes an insulated slider that divides the Cambro into multiple compartments. It's pretty effective and can give you more options around meat placement in order to keep the big meats from causing problems with others.

Back