MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default When to worry about number of registrations

At what point should an organizer get concerned about the number of registered teams for an event?
82's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

In my experience.. 2-3 weeks out they should scramble.

alot of teams wait till the last 30 days to sign up.. its frustrating to organizers, but everyone likes to hold their money as long as possible. sometimes a phone call that says, "Im in but will send $$ asap" will relieve some stress. :)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
trolleytime
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

As an organizer, I will agree with our Grand Poobah about teams waiting until the last minute and needing to scramble. Last year, our contest was sitting at 18 teams about 3 weeks out. I had a few teams politely inform me if I didn't hit 25 teams they would go elsewhere or not even show up. It would be a lie if I said I wasn't stressing out. 2 weeks out I went from 18 to 27 teams and the week of I went from 27 to 42.

It is frustrating as an organizer but since I also cook periodically at contests in my area, I am able to see it from both sides and yes I have waited until the last minute to enter into a contest. I will probably start really stressing out in September.

D. Moore
Organizer, Bordertown Bash-Fort Smith AR
trolleytime is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Would you consider free entry fee for the first 15 teams for a first year $10K event begging for cooks an act of desperation??
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

I see the issue from both sides as I compete and serve on an organizer committee.
As a competitor, I can't afford to send $250 bucks out to all of the contests I plan on attending early, but as an organizer, I realize that you have to get your numbers as early as you can. This year, we had 3 teams who verbaled a month ago, who have now backed out and left us scrambling to pick up 3 more teams to hit our 25.
Our KCBS rep tells me waiting until the last moment is the norm this year, but that doesn't help much if you hit your deadline and are still a couple of teams short.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

We have organizers who offer an "early bird" entry fee which usually ends about a month before the contest. It has helped get teams to sign up and to draw other teams once they have seen the minimum team counts have been met.

Benny
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
RX2006JE
On the road to being a farker

I would agree with the earlybird discount. I always take advantage of those offers.
RX2006JE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
carlyle
is one Smokin' Farker

We use early discounts, and it has been very worthwhile in getting teams to sign up earlier that they would otherwise.

We are phasing in electronic registration also, and that helps.

Even so, you get down to the last minute with some teams.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
EarlyBird

I LOVE Early Bird discounts

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
carlyle
is one Smokin' Farker

And I love teams that register early.
Makes the job of matching the correct number of judges to teams a lot easier.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
wyocurt

Early bird specials seem to get a lot of entry's right away. I use as many as i can.
FEC 100
wsm 22.5
RMBBQA Member
CBBQA
cbj #63452:-P
wyocurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. In case you have an open weekend to fill, Danville IL is having a competition on Sept 28-29.
82's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #13
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
I see the issue from both sides as I compete and serve on an organizer committee.
As a competitor, I can't afford to send $250 bucks out to all of the contests I plan on attending early, but as an organizer, I realize that you have to get your numbers as early as you can. This year, we had 3 teams who verbaled a month ago, who have now backed out and left us scrambling to pick up 3 more teams to hit our 25.
Our KCBS rep tells me waiting until the last moment is the norm this year, but that doesn't help much if you hit your deadline and are still a couple of teams short.
Maybe the team that was associated with letting the organizers know things should have said something about going to the fairgrounds, maybe not removing any music, beer, etc...etc.....that have helped them get money in the past......but, hey, when you do 7 contests I am sure that it makes you a pro in consulting........unfortunately it is you that guided the organizers......and it will be the last year that the contest happens.........
It is really a matter of fact that most teams in the area do not want anything to do with you as a organizer.........it happens when you believe that you are more than the contest....IMO
\
Cleveland, Ohio

Jambo (J-3) Black on Black-with Hot Rod Flames
FEC w/ IQ4
U2CANQUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2012, 03:38 AM   #14
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

I 100% agree with the others that have taken advantage of the Early Bird discounts. $50 bucks is $50.

I think more organizers should employ this tactic to get more teams to sign up early.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2CANQUE View Post
Maybe the team that was associated with letting the organizers know things should have said something about going to the fairgrounds, maybe not removing any music, beer, etc...etc.....that have helped them get money in the past......but, hey, when you do 7 contests I am sure that it makes you a pro in consulting........unfortunately it is you that guided the organizers......and it will be the last year that the contest happens.........
It is really a matter of fact that most teams in the area do not want anything to do with you as a organizer.........it happens when you believe that you are more than the contest....IMO
\

ouch.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote