WSM Clone at TSC

BBQJack

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So kind of a 1 rack 18in WSM? For that price I bet someone here will bite :razz:

Manual

I looked at the manual and it says it holds 8-10 lbs of charcoal and to check it after 2-3 hours to see if it needs more. If it does isn't that quite a bit of charcoal for that long of time.

I pulled up the schematic. Actually , there are 2 racks.!

I looked at that as well. The lower rack sits right on top of the charcoal pan, which doesn't make it very usable. In fact, it would be in the way if you had to add charcoal via the door.

Of course, with a quick mod you could move the lower rack up higher. I may stop by TSC and take a closer look.

The internals seem to be a bit of an odd configuration by having one grate below the water pan? Maybe the bottom grate is only there to support the water pan?? Most bullet/water smokers have, from bottom to top, the charcoal pan & grate or charcoal basket, water pan, bottom grate, top grate. I imagine with a bit of modification that configuration could be arranged... Cheers!!!

Stopped by TSC on my way home this evening and checked this cooker out.

Externally it looks to be about the same size as an 18" WSM. The door on the model I saw didn't look as if it sealed really well. Like the WSM, some gentle persuasion could move it back into a better fit. It has a thermometer in the front of the lid, just above grate level, but I imagine that it would read high, since there is no internal probe and it's reading the temp at the edge. The exhaust stack is bolted on and could allow for some air leakage, but not too much.

It is designed for the charcoal to go on top of a charcoal grate that sits in a pan. One of the grates is designed to set on top of this, making it pretty much unusable for cooking. The water pan is designed to set just below the top grate, but you could put that on the lower grate, but I am sure you would go through a lot of water that way. Input air control is controlled by a small air vent with three holes on the bottom section of the cooker.

One nice thing is that it does that two small bars in the lid that can be used to hang something in the cooking chamber. Of course they aren't really that strong, so you couldn't put much weight on them without bending or breaking them. You would probably have to remove these if you wanted to do Beer Can Chicken or a small Turkey, as they would probably get in the way.

All in all, considering the price of $69.00, this cooker does have some potential if you are willing to apply some mods.

As for the firebox, I would build a stand-alone firebox of expanded metal (similar to that of a UDS) and use the charcoal pan for something else. You could use the second grate to create a second shelf by lowering the hardware that holds the water pan and get some extra space.

I don't believe it to be as sealed as a 18" WSM, but the leaks are fixable, if you want to take the time. It's no WSM, but with some love and care it could produce some pretty decent Que. If I decide to get one, I will give you more of a write-up on how it functions.

This smoker is on sale for $10 off at TSC for Memorial Day weekend....

There is another thread here on this smoker I posted these in, got one last weekend. It is interesting that it comes with two rods in the lid for hanging meat from.

You are going to want to drill a bunch of holes in the charcoal pan for airflow.

bc7a1b88.jpg

350fb75c.jpg

8f46ac79.jpg

8755e9dd.jpg

3f0c7cdb.jpg

capn
Have you used it yet?

No, I only seasoned it. I have a lot of cookers, haven't gotten around to using this one yet.

I may try a pork loin on it this weekend.

I want to drill some more holes in the charcoal pan too.

No, I only seasoned it. I have a lot of cookers, haven't gotten around to using this one yet.

I may try a pork loin on it this weekend.

I want to drill some more holes in the charcoal pan too.
How well did it hold temps? How long do you think it would burn with a load of charcoal before you had to add more?

How well did it hold temps? How long do you think it would burn with a load of charcoal before you had to add more?

It held around 275 for close to 2 hrs during the seasoning, then started to drop off, I think more holes in the charcoal pan will help.

Put one on hold at my local store to pick up tonight. Good thing Father's Day is coming up soon...Hope my wife goes for that lol...I am running out of room for all my BBQ toys:becky: Hard to pass up for the sale price of $59 too!:thumb:

You are going to want to drill a bunch of holes in the charcoal pan for airflow.

Bingo.

With all cookers like this one, it's a good idea to add a raised charcoal grate to allow ashes to drop down without messing with airflow. 1.75 to 2" clearance below charcoal grate will vastly improve performance. Mini UDS mod...

Bingo.

With all cookers like this one, it's a good idea to add a raised charcoal grate to allow ashes to drop down without messing with airflow. 1.75 to 2" clearance below charcoal grate will vastly improve performance. Mini UDS mod...

This one comes with a grate for the charcoal pan. I drilled some holes, but I am going to add 15-20 more.

Back