MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
sunrise
On the road to being a farker

Default frustrated & need help with my pork

After moving from the east coast to the west coat, my pork scores & preformance is falling like a rock. We are now competing in KCBS (3 so far) in the east it was in FBA. At a contest this past weekend in Long Beach, my pork finished 33 out of 36. Here is a comment off one of the judges cards, and I thought they were suposed to be constructive. I quote the card " presentation is haphazard. Some good examples are posted online, you'd do better to research. Overcooked & mushy. Texture is almost steamed. The scores from this judge were 6-7-6 here is a picture of the box. I dont know how to make pulled pork not haphazard. any suggestions?...other than to stop cooking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2273.jpg (90.6 KB, 319 views)
sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd use the money muscle in this. Here is a box we did yesterday and we took 3rd of 47 teams in only our second comp. I was ecstatic with that.

Not that I think I know what I'm doing at all, because I don't. But it did score pretty well. We got five 8s and one 9 on the appearance. Appearance is what kept us out of the top spot with 9s nearly across the board for taste and tenderness, but this did seem to work out well for us.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Go to BBQ Critic's website and they have a ton of boxes to look over (http://www.bbqcritic.com/judgemybox.html). It helped me on how to make a box look neat and organized.

Here is a box I turned in this weekend and got 999989 on appearance scores. A lot of teams try to get a money muscle in the box and chunks along with some pulled or a variation of any of those. Looks like all you have in there is pulled. Sometimes if the butt is overcooked the meat can get a little mushy.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Bentley
Babbling Farker

As harsh and unCBJ like this will sound...just gonna say it. most CBJ's out here do not like the Cat food look anymore. It seems if you dont have primarily chunks and cut MM, you will get comments like you got, insted of the judge doing what he is supposed to and judge what is presented. Should it matter if it is pulled? No it should not. Did the look probably already put you behinde the 8-ball with that judge, yes!

We both know it is not right, but it is reality!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

^^ I agree ^^

The "look" of the meat screams mushy from the get-go. I'm guessing based upon the scores, that it actually was borderline mushy. When you tried it, did it stick to the roof of your mouth?

I like to put a bit of pulled, chunk, and MM in my boxes. It gives the judges choices, and has scored a lot better for me than when I only used to put pulled in the box.

Just my $.02

Kev
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
[/SIZE]
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
MyHeartagram
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

West Coast, they want that MM... Just like you HAVE to turn in thighs. The Queen Mary was tons of fun though, best location I've ever cooked in a contest.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Pulled will not score well out here, the curved move after Pitmasters.