MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Default Grilled Roma Tomatoes - Simply Amazing (Pr0n as usual)

This dish is as simple as it is delicious. Tomatoes, cheese, salt, pepper, and a little parsley for color and garnish and about 10 total minutes prep time. That’s it. Thanks to Diva Q for the inspiration.

Ingredients:
2 roma tomatoes
grated cheese (asiago, parmesian, romano will all suffice)
salt
black pepper
flat leaf parsley, coarse chopped
Serves two.

Notice, no amounts other than the two romas? Because there really isn’t anything to this that needs measuring.

Start with the tomatoes:

Then slice to in half lengthwise:

Prep the grill for high heat, in this case my Char-Broil Tru infrared. Place the tomatoes flat side down:

Time on the grill depends on the heat of the grill. The goal is a little charring to caramelize the sugars and proteins. Tomatoes are very juicy by nature, so they won’t char for quite a while. I believe it took me about 8 minutes get this much sear on the tomatoes, but the infrared grill I was using can hit 700+ with ease. It might take a little longer on another grill for the tomatoes to look like this:

One tip, I would recommend using a steel spatula to remove them from the grill as tongs will mash them up since they will be pretty soft when it’s time to serve.

Next up, hit them with some coarse salt, fresh cracked black pepper and then some grated cheese (I used asiago) and some rough chopped parsley:

That’s it. Hand out the forks and knives and enjoy.
Special thanks to Emily for helping out with this. It’s really hard to get a shot of the cheese being grated by myself!?!

If you would like other sides and appetizers, click here.
Also, you can follow the Grillin Fools on their Facebook page where you can post your grillin own pictures or join the general grillin conversation. Or, you can follow them on Twitter @GrillinFool
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
ROF, Texas
On the road to being a farker

Great recipe. I love grilled or smoked tomatoes. We had a chili cook off this weekend and I smoke all of my veggies prior to cooking. Abou 3 hrs. at 225 and there is no better!.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UDSVegg.jpg (123.7 KB, 160 views)

Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROF, Texas View Post
Great recipe. I love grilled or smoked tomatoes. We had a chili cook off this weekend and I smoke all of my veggies prior to cooking. Abou 3 hrs. at 225 and there is no better!.
No better way to prepare for a chili cook off! Nicely done!!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

That looks really Great
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Nice.
That looks like a great start to some smoked salsa...:)
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
FashionBiff
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Damn, now I am hungry....again. Nice easy recipe GF thank you for sharing. You too ROF-T!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

I just planted some romas tonight. My 2 and 4 year olds helped, which is what life is all about. Can't wait to do this with my own maters, with maybe a little basil rather than flat leaf parsley. I'm a basil addict. I can admit it. That's the first step. But I had no fresh basil to do the last shot. I had to go with the parsley. Despite that, these were out of this world....