MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Full Throttle
Got Wood.

Default Help me duplicate a sauce please

So my neighbor who competes and caters a bunch brought down some sausage with his BBQ sauce today. I hate to say it, but it is the best sauce I have ever tasted and want to try to duplicate it. Of coarse I didn't ask and I've been told by other neighbors he doesn't share any of his secrets!

Anyway, I tasted chili powder, vinegar, ketchup salt and coarse pepper and was slightly sweet. Does anyone have a recipe That sounds like what I am describing? I want to experiment but not sure if I should add brown sugar for sweetness and what kind of vinegar would be best...... Thanks.
Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

Too broad... majority of sauces have that in there..

almost sounds like he's using Blues Hog Tennesee Red !!
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Here is your best option. Don't duplicate his sauce. Make a better one! You know your tastebuds better than anyone, so play around with ingredients until you are happy with the end result. It will almost certainly be the best sauce you've ever had.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Chuckstang
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Here is your best option. Don't duplicate his sauce. Make a better one! You know your tastebuds better than anyone, so play around with ingredients until you are happy with the end result. It will almost certainly be the best sauce you've ever had.
I agree with Q-Dat. The most fun I've had cooking is finding something I like, trying to come close to those flavors, and ending up with something more to my liking. It usually only takes a couple times to get in the ball park. It's the fine tuning that makes tons of yummy food to eat!

Old 04-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
snyper77
Full Fledged Farker

The reviews here are 5 star...... I found it a bit "wangy" when I made a batch.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/big-als-kc-bar-b-q-sauce/

Old 04-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tatoosh

Snyper77, could you help me a bit with your use of the term "wangy"? Sort of "Twangy" like a lot o' stuff happening at once on an out of tune guitar sense? Or more on the "don't hang your wang out of the window" thing? Which would fall on the somewhat full of **** and vinegar side of the scale?

Militantsquatter, have you tried the Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce? Sounds interesting, but since I'm in the Philippines, a bit out of reach for me. None the less, if it is good and not too hot, I wouldn't mind sending a bottle to a friend of mine for his birthday.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 AM   #7
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

We don't need no stinking sauce.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #8
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Agreed. Here's what I like to do:
Take a pint of apple juice and reduce it down to a cup. Add a half cup of molasses, a half cup of ketchup, a quarter cup of cider vinegar and a quarter cup of whatever rub I've used on whatever meat I'm putting the sauce on. Simmer for a few minutes to marry all the flavors and you're done. It'll mesh up very nicely with the flavors in the meat. If you're serving beer or wine, you can replace the vinegar with an equal amount of whatever you're drinking. If you happen to be married to someone who likes mustard based sauce, replace the ketchup with mustard. If you're in Georgia, replace the apple juice with Peach Nectar. If a chili head is over for dinner, add a couple finely diced Habaneros.
Point being, there is (to me anyway) no BEST sauce. The time, place, meat, beverages and company dictate the best sauce for a particular occasion. Let your friend have HIS sauce, and you have YOUR sauce. That's the fun of cooking.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Seriously, it really does sound like there's a chance that he's just using Blues Hog Tennessee Red. You might just purchase a pint and see if that's not it, or so darned close that you dont have to do the R&D effort.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote