MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Grange
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Separate Point Before or After Resting For Burnt Ends

I cooked my first packer brisket overnight on my BGE and want to make burnt ends with the point. It was about 11.5 lbs before I trimmed some of the fat off. I put the brisket on the smoker at 8:50 PM yesterday and at 4:00 AM the internal temp reached 161. I wrapped it and just got up (6:30 AM) and the internal temp. was 205, which seems like kind of a fast rise. The smoker was about 235 when I went to back to bed and when I got up this morning it was down to 208. Most of the cook it was at 228 to 231. I hope the temp. didn't swing upwards and cooked it too fast.

Anyway I wasn't sure if I should separate the point and chop it up and put back in the smoker with extra rub and some BBQ sauce or rest the whole brisket and then separated for burnt ends? I decided to wrap the whole thing and make the burnt ends after resting.

I thought this brisket would take longer. Every time I make a pork butt it seems to take forever (6 lb. butt took 15 hours and an 8 lb. butt took 18+ hours) but this thing was done in 10 hours. I suppose I did wrap the brisket and don't wrap my pork butts so maybe that's one big difference. On the bright side it looks like I'll be having a nice lunch.

Last edited by Grange; 04-29-2012 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: Add weight of brisket.
Grange is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wrapping will speed things up.
Really no need to rest before seperating the point and flat, no harm in doing it either.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I separate the point and rest the flat. While the flat naps i cube the point and return them in a pan with some aujus, rub, and a little sauce. Cover tight and put them in the cooker a little longer. Then when they are like butter, uncover, sauce them and set the sauce.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Last edited by BBQchef33; 04-29-2012 at 03:19 PM..
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Dragonfly
Full Fledged Farker

Congrats on your first packer, bet it's going to be great! I've separated the point both ways, like LMAJ said, either will work.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I always CAREFULLY seperate the point from the flat right after it comes off the smoker for burnt ends. If you foiled the brisket at the 165* mark, this allows the steam to escape before rewrapping the flat so it doesn't over cook in the cooler while it's resting. I then let the point rest 20 minutes or so to keep those juices, and then I cube it, hit it with a little extra rub and toss it back on uncovered. My goal is to get a little extra bark. I let them go for an hour or so and then toss the cubes in sauce and put it on covered for about another hour, uncover and let the sauce set for 20 minutes or so before pulling them off. By this time, your flat is rested and ready to slice.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
fremont
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I separate them before foiling & resting flat. I re-rub point (after further trimming), then place it whole back into smoker for 2 hrs. Then cube, sauce & into foil pan for 90 min or so until nicely carmelized. My sauce BTW is thinned slightly with beef broth.
fremont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Grange
Knows what a fatty is.

Next time (and yes there will be a next time ) I will separate the point before I wrap. It turns out I didn't have to opportunity to make burnt ends. After I wrapped the whole packer to rest I talked to some family and ended up telling them I was smoked a brisket. Well that turned into a family lunch so I made some homemade macaroni and cheese (recipe from Dr. BBQ's Big Time BBQ) and homemade strawberry ice cream for desert.

By the time we finished eating and I gave a little away to to family I didn't have a whole lot of the point left over. So I vaccuum sealed it and froze for left overs when I have a craving for BBQ.

In case anyone was wondering I used Three Little Pigs Memphis BBQ Rub and injected with Butcher's Brisket Injection (I used water and left it a little thick so it wouldn't run out so quickly).

This is what it looked like. The knife was my grandfather's knife when He was a chef many years ago. It is my mother's favorite knife.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

How you like the Memphis rub on the Brisket? Thats my favorite on chicken, eggs, salads, just about anything!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
Grange
Knows what a fatty is.

This was the first time I used it on a brisket and I really liked it. I've tried it on ribs before and they turned out well.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Separate. wrap flat. trim point. cube point. soak point. smoke point.
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
BIG ALAN
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ View Post
Separate. wrap flat. trim point. cube point. soak point. smoke point.
K.I.S.S.
BIG ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote