Can you cut a brisket?

amv81

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am planning to enter my first KCBS competition in June. I read in the rules that " Pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out) and shall not be seperated during the cooking process." What about brisket and burnt ends. I usually seperate my flat from the point once it is finished and continue to cook the point for a while longer. Is that legal or am I doing burnt ends wrong?

Thanks
Adam

Interesting thought on pork is that if you butterfly/filet that pork back and don't disconnect it then you will still end up with bark all the around the money muscle. Many judges who say you can't separate have not thought that idea through.

Interesting thought on pork is that if you butterfly/filet that pork back and don't disconnect it then you will still end up with bark all the around the money muscle. Many judges who say you can't separate have not thought that idea through.

It does make for a nice presentation! :-D

But the money muscle is done way before the rest so you need multiple butts and after turnin you need to put that butterfly piece back on for a couple more hours wrapped at high heat to get it done so you can eat it at home.

Back