Stubbs Charcoal Cook Times

HogFan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Did a test run this evening using Stubbs briquettes I purchased at Lowes. Put 40 briquettes in the basket of my UDS and started 10 additional briquettes in a chimney starter. I probably didn't leave the charcoal in the chimney starter quite long enough as it took roughly 30 min to get the UDS up to 230F. The 50 briquettes kept the UDS around 230F -240F for 2.5-3 hours before I noticed the temp had dropped and when I checked, all the briquettes were consumed.

Does that sound about average for burn time? Will this scale up linearly meaning I can expect 5-6 hours from 100 briquettes and 8-9 hours from 150 briquettes?

The briquettes sparked some reminding me a little of lump. It was much better than Kingsford blue in that there was no petroleum smell. Also, the volume of ash left was fairly small. I'm curious how this compares to Chef Choice by Royal Oak.

I doubt many count what they load in the basket. Fill it up and see if it runs for 18 hours then I can answer your question. I have been very happy with Stubbs.

I don't have a UDS, but when I set up to do a long cook on the kettle I use about 1/2 bag of Stubbs, it lasts 10 hrs+ at 250°-260°. I believe Stubbs is made with ground up lump which may explain the sparking.

Back