Grill Brush Danger - Yep, it's as Bad as We Thought

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
PROVIDENCE, RI (CBS) – Several cases of people swallowing grill brush bristles have prompted doctors at Rhode Island Hospital to issue a warning about this unexpected danger.

In a newly published study, Rhode Island doctors note six cases over the course of 18 months where people accidentally swallowed wire grill brush bristles.
The incidents all required endoscopic or surgical removal.

Dr. David Grand, a radiologist who authored the paper, says the six patients all complained of mouth, esophagus, or abdominal pain.
Doctors found the common link was that the patients had eaten meat cooked on a grill that was cleaned with a wire brush immediately prior to cooking.

In three cases, the wire caused damage to the patients’ stomachs or intestine.
“Although foreign body ingestion is not a rare complaint in an emergency department, it is striking that in only 18 months we identified six separate episodes of wire bristle ingestion after eating grilled meat,” Grand said. “The public should be aware of this potential danger.”

The doctors involved in the study now suggest wiping down your grill with paper towels after using a grill brush.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/03/30/ri-doctors-warn-of-wire-bbq-grill-brush-danger/

A buddy of mine was just telling me that this happened to his uncle a couple years ago. Had to go to the ER and almost had to have surgery to remove it.

I found out early on about the cheap ones with the brass bristles. Not from eating but from the 3 steps to my grill from the back door on the patio in sock feet. Dang those things hurt! Been using Weber SS grill brushes ever since with no problems.

Heck, I don't even use a brush (this is the main reason why). I use a metal spatula and scrape after the grill plates have been heated.. If they get too dirty, I just stick them in the sink with some Dawn and use those half sponge/half scrubber dudes to get the gunk off..

Okay, I know it is probably a rare occurrence - but it happens often enough that they mentioned it during BBQ judging class. As in: your box will be disqualified if the judges find any foreign object in it, such as a piece of wire from a brush.

I use a SS brush. And, I rely on a visual inspection plus rinsing with the hose to make sure nothing like that is left on the cooking rack. However, at my age - I hope the rinsing does the trick. :becky:

There's cheap and there's cheap.
I use cheap brass brushes that are very good.
I've bought other cheap ones of the same price but they were releasing some wires...threw them away immediatly.

Man, I quit using steel brushes long ago. I get them nice fiber pads. They do a great job.

I have used a brush for years. Never herd of this. Good info to know. I also have used balled up foil and it works really well.

http://www.grillfloss.com/grillfloss_home.html

grill-floss__80571_zoom.jpg

Last edited:
Burn, burn, burn

I use a torch to heat the grill and burn off any residue. Then hit it with a damp cloth and there you have it. A clean and sanitized grill.

A few years ago I got a bristle in my fajitas at On the Border. I bit down hard on it damn near cracked a tooth. I got quite a free dinners out of that one. I try and use a good brush at home. Or I'll use wadded up tinfoil after I get the grate good and hot.

Back