Good contest for KCBS first timer

Z

zigy420

Hi guys. I live in northern Illinois and was wondering if anyone could recommend a contest that would be a decent one for me to try my hand at KCBS for the first time. I have been considering

1. Red, White, & Bar-B-Q Westmont,IL 5/25-5/27
2. Morton BBQ Throwdown Morton,IL 7/27-7/28
3. Up in Smoke on the Square Lincoln,IL 8/24-8/25

Just wondering if anyone has any insight to these competitions and if anyone of them would be better for a first timer to start with or if i should just do like i usually do and just jump in feet first without checking the water

Westmont is a good contest. I'd say try it and consider doing all 3. You'll have fun and with 3 you'll learn a lot more and get a better idea of what judges look for. Come early, get your meat prepped early and spend lots of time talking with other teams. Best way to learn.

I'm on the BBQ committee for Westmont. So if there is anything i can assist you with, let me know. Westmont always has a large first time cooks at their contact test. While it has large numbers of teams, I bet half only cook 2 contests a year.

Jump on in.. don't worry about the sharks that will be coming in from Texas to Maryland.... :p

I'm on the BBQ committee for Westmont. So if there is anything i can assist you with, let me know. Westmont always has a large first time cooks at their contact test. While it has large numbers of teams, I bet half only cook 2 contests a year.

Jump on in.. don't worry about the sharks that will be coming in from Texas to Maryland.... :p

You always need to worry about Johnny:becky:

Watch for some big announcements for Westmont. Hopefully by tomorrow. It will be fun....

Watch for some big announcements for Westmont. Hopefully by tomorrow. It will be fun....

Really???? Look forward to the news!!!

Zigy40 - This will be my second season in the mix, first year in the full kcbs at Westmont. I've been going to the event since the beginning as a spectator. Then did the ametuer rib contest the last two years and jumped in last year after Westmont to full KCBS. The folks have always been very nice to me when I wondered around and I believe I met Ford there a number of years ago when it was still held at the pavilion. As Scottie has said it is really a cool event and a great way to get started. You will see some amazing teams and great equipment and hopefully pick up some pointers from the rest of the crew that have been around the block a few more times then you and I. Let us know if you pull the trigger, would great to meet more newbies like myself.

Back