MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

Default BBQ Guru Survives Underwater

I learned a lesson today the hard way and that is the plastic tubs with the locking handles are not waterproof, in fact they collect water and direct it into the container.

I decided to cook a leg of lamb on the WSM this morning and discovered my digiIQ sitting underneath two inches of water.

I opened it up and used a blow dryer to dry it out, and 45 minutes later I had it hooked up and running just fine.

I doubt is was designed to withstand that type of abuse.

Too bad the plastic tubs were designed so poorly.
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Nice to know! I have been lucky to keep mine dry so far. When I leave it outside on an overnight cook I lay a towel over it to keep dew from condensing on it.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
frohe
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I learned a lesson today the hard way and that is the plastic tubs with the locking handles are not waterproof, in fact they collect water and direct it into the container. I decided to cook a leg of lamb on the WSM this morning and discovered my digiIQ sitting underneath two inches of water. I opened it up and used a blow dryer to dry it out, and 45 minutes later I had it hooked up and running just fine. I doubt is was designed to withstand that type of abuse. Too bad the plastic tubs were designed so poorly.
I learned that lesson the hard way. I use a 3 drawer Sterilte rolling card to hold my BBQ gear. Went out to get something from the top drawer and found about an inch of water inside. Nothing was ruined but I learned a lesson that day. Now my electronic gadgets sit on a couple of 2x4s inside the drawer and are double-bagged in ziploc baggies. Everything stays nice and dry.