How many rubs do you have from different companies?

How many different rub companies do you have in your pantry?

• 1 to 5

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • 6 to 10

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • 11 to 15

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • 15+

Votes: 14 18.2%

• Total voters

GrillsGoneWild

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I know that some of you guys make your own rubs and that is great. I tried to a few years back when I really got into BBQing, but since then I have depended on commercial rubs. With that said, I have taken a journey through many companies for different rubs. Right now, on my spice shelf I have over 5 different companies represented. Of course I have at least a couple of different rubs from each company. So for those who also go with commercial rubs, how many different companies do you currenlty have?

Pretty much from the get-go, I was interested in making my own rubs, and learning to make them better. after a few years, I found myself pretty much settled in with a few recipes that I was very happy with and considered my standards.

However, after participating in many rub/sauce trades, I realized that many rubs I tried from other folks were hit and miss as to whether or not I "truly" liked them, and would go back to them on other cooks when I was either out of rub or looking for another flavor than my normal stuff.

I figured mine would be no different to other people of course, meaning maybe half liked it and would use it again, and maybe the other half would not. This made me wonder how generally accepted my rub would be, as in trying to please the most people possible. After all, while my family and I were the top priority for my goal in pleasing with rubs, I also wanted something I could confidently share with others and not have to wonder if all the praise was accurate or not. Most people will tell you that your good homemade BBQ is great, which makes it really hard to tell if yours is "great" or just "good".

So I bought a whole bunch of the most popular rubs used by backyarders and competition cooks. I kept on trying more and more over time, constantly doing side by side comparisons with my own stuff. I took part in as many sauce/rub trades as I could. I did this for a few years.

After a couple more years, I actually found myself tweaking my recipes. My new recipes were in general less spicy (I am a chile-head, so naturally my recipes were on the hot side). My wife and kids actually liked the new recipes better, they never wanted to tell me that they didn't care as much for the heat as I did. I also noticed a change in feedback I got from others. While as long as it was good or better, people still mostly said, "It's great", there was a noticeable extra enthusiasm about it. I could tell they liked it better. Frankly, so did I.

So why did I say all that? I guess because I thought someone out there might find it interesting, particularly if they are of the mindset that the only good rubs are the ones you make on your own. They could be missing out on an opportunity to make their rubs even better, like I did.

One other thing I should add, even though I truly like my current recipes as much, or more than others, I do have some commercially available rubs that I consider "must-haves", and keep on hand. I use these when I want something different than what I have. I could spend time duplicating the rub if I wanted, but so far I am just enjoying the ride. I have rubs I designed and love, and use regularly. But continually sampling others, and even regularly using some favorites, helps to keep my perspective sharp. Otherwise, I might just be fooling myself into thinking my stuff is the best, when it is only what makes me happiest, and not the average person.

Back to the regular scheduled lunacy.

Honestly.....I have to make extra shelves.

I have one, I received it during the last trade round, I find that making a rub is about the easiest part of barbecuing.

Zero is not an option? Really? I have a couple rubs that some Brethren sent to me (thanks, Moose, Bigabyte). But in all honesty, I don't think I've ever bought a rub (I'm assuming you don't mean basics like salt, pepper or "seasoning salt" in this poll). Oh, I use Moose #2 on chicken, which we only cook on occasion, but Bigabyte's Foil Hat Rub I use on almost everything else. These are not commercial (at least that I know of). Of course we mix up some spices for recipes, but I have bought no commercial rubs. We mix up large batches of Foil Hat Rub ourselves with the recipe generously provided by Bigabyte. Can't thank him enough.

Zero is not an option? Really? I have a couple rubs that some Brethren sent to me (thanks, Moose, Bigabyte). But in all honesty, I don't think I've ever bought a rub (I'm assuming you don't mean basics like salt, pepper or "seasoning salt" in this poll). Oh, I use Moose #2 on chicken, which we only cook on occasion, but Bigabyte's Foil Hat Rub I use on almost everything else. These are not commercial (at least that I know of). Of course we mix up some spices for recipes, but I have bought no commercial rubs. We mix up large batches of Foil Hat Rub ourselves with the recipe generously provided by Bigabyte. Can't thank him enough.

Luddite...

GrillsGoneWildI know that some of you guys make your own rubs and that is great. I tried to a few years back when I really got into BBQing said:
I'm pretty much set on 2 rubs. One is a commercial brand - Fiesta Spices' Season-It-All. I use it now & then to break up the routine. My mainstay though is just S&P and garlic powder.

bigabyte I figured mine would be no different to other people of course said:
I found the best way to know I make great BBQ is how many folks huddle up when I put out a "y'all come!" for some BBQ. So far folks show up and do their best to make sure I don't have any leftovers.

I have several different products from 4 different companies.

I found the best way to know I make great BBQ is how many folks huddle up when I put out a "y'all come!" for some BBQ. So far folks show up and do their best to make sure I don't have any leftovers.
That works up to a point. Once you have learned to make good Q regularly, then great Q regularly, and people show up regularly and happily wipe you out whenever you cook anything, then it can be harder to make changes and tell how much you are improving. It's easy to tell if it got worse though.:becky: That was more along the lines of what I meant.

My wife would say too many

So would my wife, but anything more than garlic salt on any food is too much flavor for her taste. Sadly, if I made ribs or anything BBQ related without a decent rub and I guarantee you she would say it tastes bland & is too garlicky.

I am slowly educating her, one rub at a time.

i use Lawerys seasoning and sometime McCormick rib/chicken never found a reason to use others, but of course if you a stick burner that all you need for flavor

I have a lot of different commercial spices. I prefer to concentrate on raising the best animals for BBQ and BBQing them. There are so many rubs out there...

Back